NY parking tickets pile up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) — A New York City woman says her father apparently lay dead for weeks in a minivan while police repeatedly left parking tickets on the vehicle.

Jennifer Morales of Manhattan told the Daily News on Thursday that she believes her father, George Morales, died of a heart attack.

Morales said she last heard from her dad in early May. She said she had contacted police, but police say they have no report on record.

A city marshal found the body of George Morales on Wednesday while trying to tow the minivan from beneath the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway overpass. Parking tickets and dust covered the vehicle.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j7ELuIAXY0WAkseXUWbrSxWoDCPQD98KG1I80
shocked2.gif

The few times I've seen a car abandoned around here (left on the shoulder), the police (Fairfax County, VA) neither issue tickets nor tow it UNTIL you call the non-emergency number and tell them it's been on the shoulder (of a major highway) for over a week.

Then, after they get that call, THEN they deal with it, and it's gone in a day or two. I guess they figure that when it gets to the point when people are calling them to complain, then it's time to deal with it.

It's not just in NYC. A buddy of mine bringing back pots and other clay stuff from Mexico was in a rest area near Little Rock. He had a stroke. His wife, back in Wellsville, NY, had the hardest time with any level of law enforcement to take it seriously. They all kept blowing her off saying that he probably took off on her. She couldn't get the credit card company to help her ..and finally managed through the cell phone company to find out where his last call (confused conversation) originated from (tower). FINALLY - the State Police figured that the pickup, w/trailer, that had been sitting in the rest area for 4 days was worth looking at. No one figured out that he had multiple strokes. They thought he was delirious from dehydration.

Hard to believe.In new Zealand a car left sitting on the side of the road for more than 2 days will be stripped....in a week it will be burned.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
The few times I've seen a car abandoned around here (left on the shoulder), the police (Fairfax County, VA) neither issue tickets nor tow it UNTIL you call the non-emergency number and tell them it's been on the shoulder (of a major highway) for over a week.

Then, after they get that call, THEN they deal with it, and it's gone in a day or two. I guess they figure that when it gets to the point when people are calling them to complain, then it's time to deal with it.

My Pontiac-6000 broke down at around Midnight when I was coming home from my partners house. I had a dead cell phone at the time so I left it on the side of the road to walk to the next exit to call a tow truck from a service station. It took me 20 minutes to get to the station. I called a tow-truck and I called home to let my folks know what happened and to come pick me up because I wasn't sure if I would get back in time before the tow-truck. My mom said the Police had called and said that I needed to remove the car from the road or they would impound it. My mom knew nothing about it. So while I headed back to the car she called the station back and told them I was having it towed. The Police officer drove to the station as I was walking back to the car and picked me up. We both waited for my car to be towed and then he drove me home. I thought that it was nice that he did that, but why be such an $#!@ about the car on the shoulder for at-most an hour?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
The city will get every dime of the fines that were issued.

That they will...They got me a few times when I lived in Hells Kitchen.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Hard to believe.In new Zealand a car left sitting on the side of the road for more than 2 days will be stripped....in a week it will be burned.

Me too... In KC on 71 and I70 you see it all the time.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Now there was a waste of paper!
LOL.gif

This should be in the Humor Section.... hahahaha

I wonder why it's not been moved into the Humor section. Maybe because it's not only not funny, but also in really bad taste? Could that be? This may be the kind of "trash" Helen is talking about, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Now there was a waste of paper!
LOL.gif

This should be in the Humor Section.... hahahaha

I wonder why it's not been moved into the Humor section. Maybe because it's not only not funny, but also in really bad taste? Could that be? This may be the kind of "trash" Helen is talking about, but I wouldn't know for sure.
That's it Mori, go around and find all my posts and make stupid comments to get back at me because of our disagreement in your *GASP* post. What are you 6?
smirk2.gif

Oh that's mature... now I know you're of a six year-old's mindset!
48.gif
You should really spend more time with the Misses/Mister and if you don't have one then I suggest you look for one because you are in need of some fun!
wink.gif

(in regard to mori: vision of The Voyage Home as they left Spock in the park: "Is he just going to hang out here ..in the park?")

Oh, it's just his way.
21.gif

Gary, I know... But if he's gonna give me a hard time I can't just "Hang out in the park" I gotta "hard time" him back.
LOL.gif

I'm sure this won't be the first/last of him and I over posts...
smirk2.gif

I'm sure this won't be the first/last of him and I over posts...
smirk2.gif

I'm sure I'll occasionally stoop again to your level -- just because you can't get enough of it!
48.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I'm sure I'll occasionally stoop again to your level -- just because you can't get enough of it!
48.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back