NY anti-smoking signs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kruse

Didn't they put warnings on cigarette packs years ago?
If the warnings haven't worked so far, why will the news ones be any better?

Because cigarette companies strategically place the warning on the pack where nobody sees them. Britain is already requiring companies to post graphic images right on the cigarette packs.
What do you think is more effective? A tiny label on a pack that says "Cigarette smoke contains carbon monoxide" (that you won't even see anyway) or seeing these images prominently displayed on the front of the pack?

610x.jpg

alg_smoking.jpg

31274-rotting-teeth-photos-added-to-cigarette-packs-200.jpg

Those are actual images they are using on packs in Britain.

I'm sure the anti-smoking campains have and effect. The cost of cigaretts probably plays a big role as well.

cigarette_taxes_clip_image002.jpg

cigarette_taxes_clip_image004.jpg

Quote:
Numerous economic studies in peer-reviewed journals have documented that cigarette tax or price increases reduce both adult and underage smoking. The general consensus is that every 10 percent increase in the real price of cigarettes reduces overall cigarette consumption by approximately three to five percent, reduces the number of young-adult smokers by 3.5 percent, and reduces the number of kids who smoke by six or seven percent. Research studies have also found that:

• Among all adults or all youths, cigarette price increases work even more effectively to prevent and reduce smoking among males, Blacks, Hispanics, pregnant women, and lower-income persons.
• Cigarette price increases not only reduce youth smoking but also reduce the number of kids who smoke marijuana and the amount of marijuana consumed by continuing regular users.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=h...sa%3DN%26um%3D1

I think family influence and peer pressure make more difference than anything else. My friends that smoke(d) had parents that smoked, non-smoking parents usually had non-smoking kids.

Side note on price:
A 1970 $.99 pack of smokes would cost $5.23 in 2007. Cigs are actually cheaper now when adjusted for inflation and income. In 1970 ave. income was $10k/yr, in 2007 ave. income was $48k/yr, fairly closely following the inflation rate.

Tempest, you're plagarizing from non-plagarized-term-papers.com!
LOL.gif

FWIW, the cig prices in that chart are in 1982 dollars, which explains why I can't find any packs for $1.80.

Honestly, is there ANYBODY left that doesn't know smoking is bad for you? And if there is, why do we want to make their life longer?
smirk2.gif
Or for that matter, maybe I don't want to die of old age...that's my choice isn't it?!

Originally Posted By: XS650
A few years ago I saw an analysis that showed that smokers actually reduced costs. Although their health care needs were more severe, they didn't live as long so didn't suck up health care, pensions or social security as long as the non-smoker.

LOL, my great aunt Betty smoked heavily for about 70 years. She keeled over at a bar at age 85 with a cigarette in her mouth.
LOL.gif

That's exactly how we want to die, not lingering on in a hospital bed for months, in agony, with kidney failure, heart failure, and a brain like a cauliflower. go smokers!

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
That's exactly how we want to die, not lingering on in a hospital bed for months, in agony, with kidney failure, heart failure, and a brain like a cauliflower. go smokers!

Oily's farewell tour!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back