Nummi plant podcast, the Toyota/GM joint venture

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was easy for Japan to beat the US in quality... when there was no reason to do so the American companies were relaxing and doing quite well.

Now that everyone has some skin in the game all of a sudden the difference isn't quite so clear. The Americans have raised their bar regularly and continue to get better. Some of the pro-Japan crowd haven't noticed yet.

But it is a fact that paying 45.00 an hour for an assembly job is a bit high...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If GM buys Tesla, it will go down hill as fast as Pontiac.

The Pontiac brand was short lived?
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
It was easy for Japan to beat the US in quality... when there was no reason to do so the American companies were relaxing and doing quite well.

Now that everyone has some skin in the game all of a sudden the difference isn't quite so clear. The Americans have raised their bar regularly and continue to get better. Some of the pro-Japan crowd haven't noticed yet.

I could argue that sending American jobs overseas then paying a handful of VIPs multimillions is a bit high too, but I see your point.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If GM buys Tesla, it will go down hill as fast as Pontiac.

The Pontiac brand was short lived?
crazy.gif

Pontiac and Oldsmobile were relics from LOOOONG ago, they neede to leave. NO ONE misses them except old timers like me. Change is good...

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I could argue that sending American jobs overseas then paying a handful of VIPs multimillions is a bit high too, but I see your point.

You'd be dead right as well!

Originally Posted By: tom slick
NUMMI was Toyota's only union plant and it was profitable.

The question I have then, how profitable was it for Toyota to go alone in that plant?

You can run a business and say after expenses, you made only $1 and that is still technically a profit. Investors and shareholders like "large" returns on their profit and not run an employment facility.

Say quite a bit that none of the majors have a active assembly line left in California. You can include the almost defunct aircraft manufacturing in that state also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back