NUMMI is gone...another 5000 auto jobs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PT1

DETROIT — General Motors on Monday announced that it is abandoning its 25-year NUMMI joint venture with Toyota, saying that "there are no future GM vehicles planned at this time." Toyota responded by saying "this decision by GM makes the (economic) situation even more difficult for Toyota."

I thought that the NUMMI plant built the corolla? the only GM car outa there lately is the Pontiac Vibe, so that part is no suprise - although very unfortunate for both sides.

What did they have going with Toyota besides the Vibe / Matrix? Seems like anyone that had their hearts set on a Vibe could just go buy a Matrix, which theoretically should help Toyota.

I think it's time GM cut their ties with the Japanese anyway as they should've learned by now how to build desirable small cars. You want Americans to buy domestic? Design and build them yourselves, right here and stop relying on Toyota to show you how. Surely GM can build something besides a good full-size SUV.

GM should`ve keep doing what they did better than anyone else in the world,building full size muscle machines. The never should`ve discontinued the 3800 V6 and 350 V8. That was the end of quality GM vehicles.I can remember when GM cars were the best on the planet.

NUMMI isn't gone, only GM's involvement is gone. Toyota will probably keep most of it going. There is also rumor that the Prius will be run there. The Tacoma, Corrolla, and Matrix are already being built there, so I'd say that NUMMI will be fine.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
GM should`ve keep doing what they did better than anyone else in the world,building full size muscle machines. The never should`ve discontinued the 3800 V6 and 350 V8. That was the end of quality GM vehicles.I can remember when GM cars were the best on the planet.

You got that right.....I should have never sold my 99 5.7L Suburban. The 5.3L & 6.0L engines were garbage.
frown.gif
I put that truck on a lift at 80,000 miles to take a look at the driveline. It was 100% totally dry. Not even an oil weep on the whole thing from engine to all 4 wheels. I kick myself for trading it in. In 80k that truck went to the dealer once to have the driveshaft yoke greased. That was it. DOH!!!
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Toyota is shopping around to move that plant out of its current state.

Rumor has it that they looking at ID, UT or WY for it.

Bill

They can get some big pieces of real estate for cheap in WY. They should build it just south of Gillette (if they can find some land without methane wells on it). That would give the area a much needed economic boost.

Originally Posted By: PT1

You got that right.....I should have never sold my 99 5.7L Suburban. The 5.3L & 6.0L engines were garbage.
frown.gif
I put that truck on a lift at 80,000 miles to take a look at the driveline. It was 100% totally dry. Not even an oil weep on the whole thing from engine to all 4 wheels. I kick myself for trading it in. In 80k that truck went to the dealer once to have the driveshaft yoke greased. That was it. DOH!!!
crazy2.gif

WHAT?!? The LSx based V-8s are way better then the older 350 based V-8s. For starters, the 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, and 8.1 engines don't leak coolant through the intake gaskets into the oil!

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: PT1

frown.gif
crazy2.gif

WHAT?!? The LSx based V-8s are way better then the older 350 based V-8s. For starters, the 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, and 8.1 engines don't leak coolant through the intake gaskets into the oil!

The last 5 350V8's in my family all went over 200k with no leaks.

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
They can get some big pieces of real estate for cheap in WY. They should build it just south of Gillette (if they can find some land without methane wells on it). That would give the area a much needed economic boost.

Until the next evolution and they move somewhere else that bids down to attract the assembly process for the "economic boost". They'll leave a hollow mecca that was built just for them when their gone (the development that will ultimately have nothing to sustain it).

btw-why wouldn't you tap methane wells to power your plant ..or is this some mining/mineral rights issue?

It's funny to see arguments touting the virtues of an engine solely based on the fact that there were no leaks.

29 years ago GM closed the Fremont plant because the plant was a failure. Toyota formed an alliance with GM and reopened the plant as NUMMI and made it successful and profitable. Now GM pulls out again because they are a failure. History repeating itself with a twist.

Interesting that back in the 70-80's the big three looked to the outside for help in the small car segment. Now two of them are failures and looking to the outside for help in the small car segment.

Toyota can have a high cost unionized plant in N Cali.

Or use the brand new non-unionized plant in Mississippi that is currently idled.

Gee, I wounder what they will do?

The mayor of fremont says he has no communication from Toyota concerning the future of the plant.

Originally Posted By: Dualie
the funniest thing is nummi was GM's ONLY profitable plant. In one of the highest rent districts in America for manufacturing

Which is why they are closing it....
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Dualie
the funniest thing is nummi was GM's ONLY profitable plant. In one of the highest rent districts in America for manufacturing

GM's only profitable plant was the NUMMI plant, but Toyota says the NUMMI plant is too costly with the UAW. Two different perspectives.
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back