NUMMI is gone...another 5000 auto jobs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dualie
the funniest thing is nummi was GM's ONLY profitable plant. In one of the highest rent districts in America for manufacturing

That is simply not true. For starters - ALL the big truck and SUV plants were money makers up until recently. My plant in Texas is a big money maker for GM and if it were not for the successful launch of the revised SUV's in 2007 - GM would have been in it's current bind a lot sooner. My plant still makes money for GM because we're the only plant now making Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade/Suburban/Yukon XL/Denali and the Hybrids.

Last edited:
Sad.

I live just up 880 from NUMMI and have relatives that work there. Thankfully, two out of the three relatives have already retired from there. Sucks for the last one.

And I'll add that my GM 3.8 has over 180K miles with the only repairs needed being a leaky intake. Other than that and usual parts, the engine still pulls strong and has good wear numbers.

Originally Posted By: PT1
"this decision by GM makes the (economic) situation even more difficult for Toyota."

[Bleep] you, Toyota! What obscene selfish arrogance to issue a comment like that rather than one of sympathy for the employees, or rather than trying to re-locate as many as possible elsewhere within the company.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: Dualie
the funniest thing is nummi was GM's ONLY profitable plant. In one of the highest rent districts in America for manufacturing

That is simply not true. For starters - ALL the big truck and SUV plants were money makers up until recently. My plant in Texas is a big money maker for GM and if it were not for the successful launch of the revised SUV's in 2007 - GM would have been in it's current bind a lot sooner. My plant still makes money for GM because we're the only plant now making Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade/Suburban/Yukon XL/Denali and the Hybrids.

Not to mention Holden- in fact no one ever seems to mention that Holden has remained profitable throughout the whole mess. Maybe Holden itself has wanted to keep a low profile to avoid being interfered with...
56.gif

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
It's funny to see arguments touting the virtues of an engine solely based on the fact that there were no leaks.

LOL, true....but then again...we are talking GM here...
LOL.gif

Yeah, but beware...you are in the sights of the new GM owner and all of his greenie friends.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
"this decision by GM makes the (economic) situation even more difficult for Toyota."

[Bleep] you, Toyota! What obscene selfish arrogance to issue a comment like that rather than one of sympathy for the employees, or rather than trying to re-locate as many as possible elsewhere within the company.

I didn't see the sign that said "The Church of Toyota" anywhere on the dealership the last time I was there. Your expectations are un realistic. And please spare us the "corporate bad guy" rhetoric.

Last edited:

I didn't see the sign that said "The Church of Toyota" anywhere on the dealership the last time I was there. Your expectations are un realistic. And please spare us the "corporate bad guy" rhetoric.

Its not "corporate bad guy" rhetoric, its pointing out a p*ss-poor press release. of course Toyota is feeling the pinch like everyone else, but it makes VERY bad press to whine about a plant closing hurting Toyota, when a) all automakers are hurting, many far worse than Toyota, and b) jobs are evaporating.

How is it arrogance. GM and Toyota were partners in the plant. It was formerly a GM only plant and GM asked Toyota to come in on the joint venture.

Now GM is bailing.

It's not arrogance by Toyota, it's business. Toyota is saying our partner is pulling out and we cannot justify going it alone in this plant, so the difficult task of being the last guy out fell to us.

If you are going to rag on Toyota, do the same complaining about GM's decision to leave the plant as well.

Yeah, but beware...you are in the sights of the new GM owner and all of his greenie friends.

That is so true.
frown.gif

I wondered how GM was going to justify keeping Pontiac going with a one car line (Vibe). This is the only decision that makes sense.
It is amazing that factory was profitable considering the anti-business climate of the state. They must have a bunch of smart and productive workers when compared to the other locations.

Its not "corporate bad guy" rhetoric, its pointing out a p*ss-poor press release. of course Toyota is feeling the pinch like everyone else, but it makes VERY bad press to whine about a plant closing hurting Toyota, when a) all automakers are hurting, many far worse than Toyota, and b) jobs are evaporating.

+1 I hope they rot.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
It was formerly a GM only plant and GM asked Toyota to come in on the joint venture.

It was the other way around. Toyota approached GM after negotiations with Ford failed:

http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~padler/research/NUMMI(ROB)-1.pdf

Quote:
Toyota was the initiating party. In 1980, Toyota had contacted the Washington,
D.C. law firm of Arent, Fox, Kintner, Plotkin and Kahn to assist them in finding a
U.S. joint venture partner. The initial efforts were in the direction of Ford Motor
Company, but when these failed, Toyota approached GM.

I cant think of a better place than CA to close a plant, I mean they do have all those Green jobs sprouting up out there;)

Seriously what is all the hub bub about here, it made Corrollas and Vibes?? I could care less, there are many other plants which made more interesting and better cars/trucks which have been closed or soon will be.

I dont blame GM and or Toy for closing the plant with all the stupid rules and regulations CA imposes on manufacturers. I myself have been a victim of a plant closing(non-automotive) and life moves on. But one does look at our politicians and leaders as failures because most dont give a [censored] about manufacturing.
CA has to be the worst state to do business in. Note I have scene a few bumper stickers that say "Wake Up Amrica, Lets not become California" How true.

The Tacoma was assembled there as well. I wonder how much that the current "frame episode" contributed to this decision? I live in a "hard to do business in " state and I'm sure that is a factor. Don't really feel as though GM had that much in-put as they only took vehicles and re-badged, except for starters and alternators on early Corollas where they supplied these 2 items.

California has the closest good ports and distribution for freight from Asia, including cars and car parts. Toyota still has about 3 facilities in Calif but none are major assembly plants.

NUMMI was profitable for Toyota. My guess is GM pulling out made NUMMI the logical choice to reduce capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back