Nulon Race Oil 5W30 Virgin Oil Analysis, VOA

Hello internet and BITOG faithful. here is the goss from downunder.

Nulon over priced their race oil products ($110-120AUD/5L.) As such they were not real stock turner's. Thus last week SuperCheapAuto did a runuout to clear inventory at $48/5L. As such I snapped up the last 3 5W30 5L tins in South Australia. These oils are rather unique in their base oil composition containing a blend of POA's (G-IV) and the rare Alkylated Naphthalene (G-V) base stocks. They even have a slightly different smell to them as a result. Colour is a typical maple syrup brown, rahter than the light honey of say a Shell Helix Ultra GTL oil.

Of note is that Nulon DO-NOT rate this oil by either SAE, ACEA or any other OEM standards.

here is the product:
[Linked Image from nulon.com.au]

Product page can be found here
Product bulletin can be found here
and MSDS can be found here

As nulon have been rather tight lipped about their product I thought I'd get a VOA done at my local CAT dealer.

As you can see it's jam packed full of ZDDP, has near as makes no difference 700ppm Moly and 100ppm Boron. Mostly a Calcium based detergent package with a little both of Manganese for good measure. This will be the duty oil in my soon to be tuned GTiR pulsar. Should do the trick. With a TBN close to 10 and a VI of close to 170 it looks to be a robust package. But definitely not a low or mid SAPS oil... With a 100°C viscosity of under 10, it's fairly typical of modern 30W oils. but with that high VI number, it should hold that viscosity better as the going gets tuff,

Regards
Jordan

Nulon Race 5W30 VOA.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 26
Last edited:
Hi mate, what oil have you used in it previously? How much extra power from the tune? Interesting to see that VOA .

Thanks Jordan,
I was always interested in this oil, but too expensive. Glad you got it at a good price, and thanks very much for the VOA.

Lots of Zinc (1783 ppm) and Calcium (2633 ppm) for a good old school package, along with the Moly and Boron as you stated.

The KV100 at 9.8 cSt is right at the lower end of the 30 grade range, which is interesting to know, and more common nowadays.

Great to see this VOA !

Originally Posted by adams355
Hi mate, what oil have you used in it previously? How much extra power from the tune? .

Pulsar GTi-R is a fresh build. So will wait and see. Looking to reduce hysteresis loss's as much as possible (better efficiency, less boost less heat... So no bunker 50 or 60W oils in my new motor.

Look at the VOA it's easy to see why it doesn't carry and API or ACEA cert. Just a shame that nulon aren't more forward with the blend.

Regards
Jordan

real RACING oils are just that formulated to increase power + add protection in a track type driving, NOT the greatest for everyday. look at the specs of Redline RACING oils!! for RACING

Late to the party but I used this in a 2500km OCI including 1 track day. Tin numbers were elevated (not sure if any fuel additives could be responsible) otherwise all other numbers were good.

Back