NuFinish removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
on plastic bumper and trim...

Last summer I gave my MDX a couple of good coats of said NuFinish polish and a few swipes made it's way on the black trim and bumpers which has a textured surface.. almost orange peel like.

I didnt pay much attention to it as I hoped that the severe winter driving conditions would weather it away..... WRONG....!!!

Has anyone successfully removed Nufinish, as I now would like to have these white streaks off the trim.

Thanks
J.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser should remove old wax from black plastic trim.

Thanks will give that a try... hoping it will reach in all the little divots in the plastic..

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser should remove old wax from black plastic trim.

Yep!

I was thinking detailing clay might work but it would probably have a problem removing it from all the divots of your textured plastic. Otherwise, detailing clay is known to effectively remove wax. I use the Meguiar's kit.

You might want to try an all purpose cleaner (APC). Meguiars has them but I don't think they come in less than a gallon but you could give them a call and see.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/search/?term=all+purpose+cleaner

a red eraser works and then I learned how to not be so Ham Fisted in applying the wax.
smile.gif

Ok.. so i tried the magic eraser.. and it worked ok... got Hmmmm 75% of it off..!?!?

Thinking the red eraser wont do much better.. because of the textured orange peel like surface.

May try different solvents and a soft brush.. but not sure where to start.. dont want anything super harsh... acl.?? maybe..??

I've had good luck cleaning plastic molding with Meguiar's M39 Mirror Glaze Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner. I also use it on my weathertech rubber matts, it doesn't leave any residue what so ever, it actually leaves them some what tacky like they were when new.

Ok slight update... and giving credit to where credit is due..

I followed up at the spots where I used the magic eraser with a every day white school eraser... as suggested.
and it did seem to remove most of what was left behind by the magic eraser.

Now, I did try the school eraser on a spot not previously cleaned with the magic eraser, and must say it did not clean well.

side note; on another thread, I just learned of aerospace 303 protectant. I have some rain-X proctectant.. but it doesnt seem to last at all..
thoughts?
thx
J.

next time you wash, get the trim wet and just use a soft bristle brush and it should come off unless you left it on too long and it stained. If it stained and it's black trim, pick up some "Solution Finish" and coat all of your trim.

I had some residue on my trim from using some Maquires product. It was either the Tech 2 wax or their carnuba. Looked terrible. I tried some of the mentioned remedies with little success. I decided to try some Purple Power, full strength with a small, firm bristled brush. I wet the surface of the trim, dipped the brush in the Purple Power and scrubbed. I rinsed immediately after doing a small section at a time. Followed up with some trim restorer and my trim looks great and stain free. I actually spent the past two days washing and detailing my truck (I'm retired so time was no issue). I ended with a coating of Maquires Carnuba paste wax. I used some painter's tape to cover the trim this time. Time wise I came out ahead. The Puple Power worked for me. YMMV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back