NTSB wants all new vehicles to check drivers for alcohol use

"...some" states...."
I'm inta Fed legislation. Think it would be watered down?
They seem to have national reciprocity (share driving records).

Got a ticket 40 yrs later cross NE states when re-registering. I
had been in southern and western states for employ (transfers,
same co). Had cars there. Had a car "back here" for several yrs.
4th or 5th re-up on something (excise tax?) I got a note citing a 40 y/o
not-paid violation. This state would not allow legal follow-up (pass papers
for satisfying some point) until the next state over sent them a "he's taken
care of his ticket" response. These 2 were on either side of the computer
entry into the record keeping field (mid 70s & '00s) I believe. I thought that
was pretty good and should reward some state bureaucrat for the
excellent tracking job. Sent out the $ w/a note saying so. Seemed like
there was less than a dollar add-on for interest or being on the lam or whatever.
Glad to pay that dumb kid that was me 's debt. Got more free cash today anyway~

What the justice system needs to do is make even one DUI offense very painful, and subsequent ones really painful and take driving privilege away for a very long time (like 5 years per offense). The only way you make people stop doing bad things is to crack heads really hard.

The idea that alcoholism is a behavior of choice and not a disease went out a long time ago.

What the justice system needs to do is make even one DUI offense very painful, and subsequent ones really painful and take driving privilege away for a very long time (like 5 years per offense). The only way you make people stop doing bad things is to crack heads really hard. That would probably work better than putting a BOC reader in every new vehicle.
I agree. I got my second DWI right before I was suppose to appear in court for my first one. Judge didn't seem to have a sense of humor about it and this was in 1983 before DWI's were popular around here. Lost my license for a year and a half, $1k in fines for both and 30 days in county. That wasn't really the bad part either, the bad part was paying $800 a year for liability insurance, this lasted for 5 years and then it slowly came down.

Looking back I'm glad this happened to me when I was young.

Distracted driving is a major player in vehicle collisions and/or fatalities. I thinks its best to think of all of these things as ingredients of the traffic collision, kinda like baking a cake. Speeding is the yeast, distractions are the flour and so on.

We have done this to ourselves. Drive thru lanes for food. (distraction) Putting on make-up. (distraction) Texting. (deadly distraction) Alcohol. (deadly distraction) Medications. (deadly distraction) etc... I do not advocate the ignition interlock devices for anyone other than criminals who have been caught driving while impaired/intoxicated and that to be handled by the courts.

Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

I agree. I got my second DWI right before I was suppose to appear in court for my first one. Judge didn't seem to have a sense of humor about it and this was in 1983 before DWI's were popular around here. Lost my license for a year and a half, $1k in fines for both and 30 days in county. That wasn't really the bad part either, the bad part was paying $800 a year for liability insurance, this lasted for 5 years and then it slowly came down.

Looking back I'm glad this happened to me when I was young.
You are an honest man. I have to believe that most people have driven over the limit in their lives, perhaps more than they are willing to admit. Luckily most people don't get caught or worse.

I make no bones about the mistakes I made. It ain't no joke and who am I to judge?

it sez "they drive drunk 80 times for every once caught"
On average, a drunk driver will drive 80 times under the influence before their first arrest. Every 51 minutes in America, someone is killed in a drunk driving crash. That equates to 27 people every day.

You are an honest man. I have to believe that most people have driven over the limit in their lives, perhaps more than they are willing to admit. Luckily most people don't get caught or worse.

I make no bones about the mistakes I made. It ain't no joke and who am I to judge?
And probably texting and driving.

Texting and driving should be treated exactly like drunk driving also because it’s just as dangerous and the people doing it are just as addicted.

Back