NP241 outer planetary ring retention?

D60

Anyone know how these are retained. You can see some of the input rollers came out and got ground up thru the planetary assy. (The swarf in the pic is largely shift fork pads which worries me far less)

Anyway, the outer ring moves fore/aft just barely, is this a concern? I can't seem to easily get it out but it's not a press fit if I can move it by hand.

I have a donor case where the same ring is tight, or at least can't be moved by hand.

It should only see use in 4lo but still this truck does see 4lo sometimes
20220212_161622.jpg

To my knowledge....The Annulus/Ring Gear was never meant to be removed & was press fit into the case at the factory. The Snap Ring is there to keep thrust loads from working the Ring Gear loose.

The Planet running over the ball bearings is likely what loosened the Ring Gear & the Case Half is now scrap.

To my knowledge....The Annulus/Ring Gear was never meant to be removed & was press fit into the case at the factory. The Snap Ring is there to keep thrust loads from working the Ring Gear loose.

The Planet running over the ball bearings is likely what loosened the Ring Gear & the Case Half is now scrap.
I've basically stumbled myself into the same conclusion, but thank you for confirming my diagnosis and thought process.

The more I tore into the planetary assembly itself, the more it became clear it has tried to "pass" too many errant roller bearings....effectively "swelling" itself at least as the bearings worked their way thru.

As a result I think the entire planetary worked like a roller burnisher on that outer ring (and quite possibly the case itself), increasing the diameter

Kind of a fun learning experience, actually :D

Back