Now with Hummer, you get eggroll....

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not nice....

So if Hummer was sold to:

1) A German company you get "weiner schnitzel"?
2) A Mexican company you get "taco"?

MarkC I'm sure you meant it as a funny, but that's really an insult to Chinese people IMO.

Yeah we don't have to like the majority of poor quality products that seem to come from China, but your comment is a bit out there...
wink.gif

But maybe it would be funnier if you said "with a new hummer you will get a fortune cookie".

And the fortune said "corvette is next"

I don't get it. Why would anyone buy the Hummer brand? I couldn't understand if they bought any of the manufacturing facilities or the R&D. As far as I am aware of it, the Hummer they bought is actually something based on the Chevy Trail Blazer. It's not even a unique technology.

Do they just sell the brand or the technologies too?

I'd imagine if the technologies (not like there's any other than mass) is included, the Chinese wants to build war machine so they don't have to rely on the Russian.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
I don't get it. Why would anyone buy the Hummer brand? I couldn't understand if they bought any of the manufacturing facilities or the R&D. As far as I am aware of it, the Hummer they bought is actually something based on the Chevy Trail Blazer. It's not even a unique technology.

they are buying the name, the rights to sell that style of vehicle with that name and all that entails. it's a turn-key operation; dealer network in place, existing models and reputation (FWIW).
if you're looking to sell style consious trucks, better to buy a well established brand than start from scratch.
IIRC, the H2 is based on the full size GM, and the H3 is based on the mid size.
maybe GM is working out a deal where they provide the chassis and drivetrain?
all of this is uncharted territory, who knows where it will lead.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
(FWIW).

That's exactly my point. I don't think the Hummer brand is worth much. But maybe the Chinese car buyers like it. Look at Buick...

But they are still stuck with the GM manufacturing, its quality and its legacy costs.

It's not entirely uncharted, as I pointed out it the other thread. GM was technically "contracted out" to build the Hombre for Isuzu in the same plant where they now make the H3 models...

Originally Posted By: momomeister
That's not nice....

The Wiener schnitzel is an Austrian dish, named after the city of Vienna. Germans eat all kinds of schnitzel (and so do the Japanese -- the call it katsu, derived from "cuts"), but the Wiener schnitzel is simply a breaded veal cutlet.

If a German company had bought the Humper brand, you might get a barrel of authentic sauerkraut or maybe a keg of beer with every new Humper!
grin2.gif

H2 based on the Tahoe chassis and powertrain.

H3 based on the Colorado chassis and powertrain.

Both are purely poser vehicles and completely unrelated to the military HMMV that AM General made.

I'll take a Jeep Rubicon for serious off roading any day over an H2 or H3.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: MarkC
Referencing an old movie...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_Six_You_Get_Eggroll

If any Chinese people(or anybody who's married to one) are offended , let them PM me and I'll apologize. Otherwise.... guess what?
Didn't realize it was an old movie... Sorry!
frown.gif

Well, just because it's a reference to an old movie doesn't make it right either.

As an example, there a story a few years ago on the news about some toothpaste called "Blackie", with the cartoon character of a black man in a top hat in Asia? The toothpaste has been around for a long time, but does it make it right to keep that name brand? No. To me it would be offensive to people African origin with black skin. Note that not all people of African origin have black skin, ie. Egyptians, Libyans, South African's (parent's of migrated Europeans).

Originally Posted By: moribundman
That's not nice....

The Wiener schnitzel is an Austrian dish, named after the city of Vienna. Germans eat all kinds of schnitzel (and so do the Japanese -- the call it katsu, derived from "cuts"), but the Wiener schnitzel is simply a breaded veal cutlet.

If a German company had bought the Humper brand, you might get a barrel of authentic sauerkraut or maybe a keg of beer with every new Humper!
grin2.gif

I stand corrected relative to the origin of the Wiener Schnitzel.

I, for one, take offense to being left out of potential insults (however real or imagined) to my ethnicity in this thread.

Is there a new car coming out called the WASP??

That's not nice....

2) A Mexican company you get "taco"?

That would be funny too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back