Now with Hummer, you get eggroll....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I, for one, take offense to being left out of potential insults (however real or imagined) to my ethnicity in this thread.

Is there a new car coming out called the WASP??

Insult/offense intended!
56.gif

Just kidding..

I, for one, take offense to being left out of potential insults (however real or imagined) to my ethnicity in this thread.

LOL.gif

If Gary gets one, then I want one too... I'm part WOP and part Canadian!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: momomeister

As an example, there a story a few years ago on the news about some toothpaste called "Blackie", with the cartoon character of a black man in a top hat in Asia?

Hence they changed the name to "Darlie" some 10-20 years ago.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

LOL.gif

If Gary gets one, then I want one too... I'm part WOP and part Canadian!
grin2.gif

You can buy an IRC ..assembled in Canada

Here you go Gary. It's already been done.
Vespa%20400%20ride%202%20LR.JPG

"Vespa" is Italian for "Wasp"

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

As an example, there a story a few years ago on the news about some toothpaste called "Blackie", with the cartoon character of a black man in a top hat in Asia?

Hence they changed the name to "Darlie" some 10-20 years ago.

I didn't know that it was changed to "Darlie"..

But as to the point I was getting at, if someone used the original name as a "basis for a statement" or "reason for the statement", does it make it right? I'd say no.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
Referencing an old movie...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_Six_You_Get_Eggroll

If any Chinese people(or anybody who's married to one) are offended , let them PM me and I'll apologize. Otherwise.... guess what?
Didn't realize it was an old movie... Sorry!
frown.gif

Well, just because it's a reference to an old movie doesn't make it right either.

As an example, there a story a few years ago on the news about some toothpaste called "Blackie", with the cartoon character of a black man in a top hat in Asia? The toothpaste has been around for a long time, but does it make it right to keep that name brand? No. To me it would be offensive to people African origin with black skin. Note that not all people of African origin have black skin, ie. Egyptians, Libyans, South African's (parent's of migrated Europeans).

Well, I haven't heard from any Chinese people who find what I posted offensive, I also asked my friend from Singapore as well as her mother. Both thought it was funny.
So, unless you're Chinese, I don't care what you think about this matter.

I don't think it is offensive as I can see that it was intended for humor and not discrimination.

BTW, I'm Chinese

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I don't think it is offensive as I can see that it was intended for humor and not discrimination.

BTW, I'm Chinese

As if "asiancivicmaniac" didn't give it away.
LOL.gif
(J/K)

Well, I was born in Vietnam to a completely Chinese mom and dad. I'm not officially Chinese, but I'm Chinese enough.

It's all good... Doesn't matter where you are from, we are all human and we should all respect each other regardless. Too bad not everyone abides by this logic. So sad.
frown.gif

cheers3.gif

BTW, I'm Chinese

Your opinion doesn't count! No individual within a group usually cares about political correctness about his or her group. It's a totally rhetorical moral point of view that "others" feel required to maintain for some odd reason. It's probably wise to do so ..just to avoid endless distracting discussion over the political incorrectness of a given statement.

It's like finding a smoker to ridicule ..or whatever. You find someone in an indefensible position and you hammer them over all the other stuff in your life that you have no control over.

I put my camera up to my eye in the Capital. About 24 people, in unison, said, "NO PICTURES". I politely thanked all of those that were not employees or security personnel ..telling them "Thank you! Thank you very much! I'm glad you're here to tell me these things" (a para-quote from Han Solo). More or less telling them to get a life.

Referencing an old movie...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_Six_You_Get_Eggroll

If any Chinese people(or anybody who's married to one) are offended , let them PM me and I'll apologize. Otherwise.... guess what?
Didn't realize it was an old movie... Sorry!
frown.gif

Well, just because it's a reference to an old movie doesn't make it right either.

As an example, there a story a few years ago on the news about some toothpaste called "Blackie", with the cartoon character of a black man in a top hat in Asia? The toothpaste has been around for a long time, but does it make it right to keep that name brand? No. To me it would be offensive to people African origin with black skin. Note that not all people of African origin have black skin, ie. Egyptians, Libyans, South African's (parent's of migrated Europeans).

Well, I haven't heard from any Chinese people who find what I posted offensive, I also asked my friend from Singapore as well as her mother. Both thought it was funny.
So, unless you're Chinese, I don't care what you think about this matter.

What ethnicity do you think I am? Take a guess.

Rather than have the division get dissolved its better it was sold off. Now granted quality isn't necessarily associated with China but they have improved quite a bit(not quite there yet, but better) than they were a few years ago.

They bought a brand name, they have an opportunity now to continue with it, improve it and have the name backing it. If they can prove to the world that they can keep that name brand quality up they will be pretty well off.

BTW, I'm Chinese

Your opinion doesn't count! No individual within a group usually cares about political correctness about his or her group.

Well, in some way I think we have taken "political correctness" too far. I'm Chinese also but I don't find this offensive, but I can understand some that are borderline sensitive could find these (and 10 million other things in life, like the staff's attitude in DMV, or the ruling of a small claim court judge) offensive or discriminating.

So, let's all chill and enjoy the privacy and maybe be a give a bit of a warning next time, so those who are sensitive will stay away?

It isn't political correctness. It's more along the lines of understanding what maybe construed as offensive by some.

Jean-Baptiste Say an economics professor said that "supply creates its own demand." We are moving toward having a state where nothing is being produced and supplied by Americans. If this trend continues of selling productive assets what are we going to produce as a nation? We will get to the point where there will be no production of any good in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back