Now that we have talked about Shell Helix...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that we have talked about Shell Helix motot oil that costs $20.00 to $60.00 a quart, what is the cheapest high quality motor oil?

My vote goes to Mobil Drive Clean, which has good UOAs, is high detergent, and in a freezer test flowed almost as well as a synthetic oil. Some people here say that you can often buy it at Wal-Mart for about .69 cents a quart. Combined with a Super Tech oil filter, you could do an oil change for about 6 or 7 bucks.

Mystic,

I just can't get excited over MDC. I need to be careful I am not clinging to info that is out of date, but over time I have read things that cause me to believe that Mobil's dino oils don't stay in grade very well and are not the best at preventing wear. I welcome any of our members who have current data that shows this not to be the case. My impression has long been that Mobil puts their REAL emphasis on M1 and that their dinos get whatever attention is left.

[ October 15, 2003, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

I would say Chevron Supreme has shown much better results than Drive Clean, and a lot of people have reported being able to buy this oil for around $1 per quart.

By the way, sorry for the two identical posts. I see somebody removed one of them. My spelling was really bad with the first one, as you can see above. I tried to correct my spelling, and didn't realize I had already posted it.

Define "cheap".
grin.gif

Seriously though, the oil I'm using at the moment, Pennzoil Long-Life 15w-40, is only $1.54/quart.

[ October 15, 2003, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

My vote also goes to Mobil Drive Clean. I put lots of miles on my vehicles and they always use none or very little oil between changes. And I'm never easy on my vehicles either. I drive them hard in lots of hot weather. I sold my '91 Plymouth Voyager a while back that had 200k miles on it, and the engine ran as good as the day I bought it. It only used 1/2 quart between changes (but then it always did do that).
Also, I don't think Toyota would put their name on an inferior oil.
All I can say is that it works for me.

Ronnie

Eastexan, Mobil Drive Clean is the oil that Toyota uses and is labeled as being Toyota oil? That is interesting. A long time ago I heard that the auto makers in the US were using Mobil motor oil (and labeling it as AC-DELCO and Motorcraft).

Hmm...I don't get Drive Clean here but have Mobil Super HP which is SL 0W-30. Currently using it in my moped. Thin oil, so its a bit noisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back