NOW READ THIS: Is Castrol Syntec a PAO synthetic once again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually there is a closer dragstrip to me which is only 70 miles away, which has better traction too, but unfortunately all of my car club's special events this year were held at the other track.

I've got one more race before the season is over, this time at the closer dragstrip.

Hopefully this oil proves to be up to the abuse I put it through!

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Seen any progress on the UOA we are waiting for?

You mean VOA right? Yes, it's done! See the VOA section. It's got a bit of iron (3.4) a tiny bit of lead (0.5) but I was very impressed to see the viscosity at 12.2 cst at 100c! And it's got a nice 3544ppm of calcium too, and a strong TBN of 9.39 (on the lower D4739 scale too)

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:

quote:

Originally posted by doyall:
What color is it?
smile.gif
grin.gif

speaking of color ... what oil is orange in color?

Probably the oil from a 3.1/3.4 full of Dex-Cool
wink.gif

carl97ss,

GC=German Castrol, which is indeed the green 0w30.
AC, of course, is American Castrol.

[ September 23, 2003, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

I've *been* saying Castrol is going to tweek their formula to make it more competetive with Mobil 1. $18.88 for 5 quarts, hmm that sounds familiar.

Just FYI
All Syntec grades now meet ACEA A5, and or A3. Where before most were only showing A1 on the bottle.
So either they have always been able to meet those requirements and never paid for testing, or they really are trying to improve their oils.
This all came along w/ their new marketing, like someone else pointed out. "Out Performs" w/ the new bottle labeling. Also all those new annoying commercials.
They have also added the OW-30 grade to their website, which wasn't previously there. Although no indication of it being the German made stuff.

And finally I never noticed this before, their website actually has the word ESTER, which I don't recall seeing before. Maybe I just missed it.
"SYNTEC's unique chemical esters bond to engine parts"
Yes it's probably still a GIII, but to see that on their website made me
smile.gif

Also in about 4000 miles I will have a 5000 mile oil sample of this new 5W-30.

[ September 25, 2003, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: day1si ]

quote:

Originally posted by day1si:
And finally I never noticed this before, their website actually has the word ESTER, which I don't recall seeing before. Maybe I just missed it.
"SYNTEC's unique chemical esters bond to engine parts"

Yep, it's been up for YEARS. As far back as "SH" spec oils, Castrol was ballyhooing Syntec's

"Unique molecular structure that actually bonds to engine parts to leave a layer of protection far stronger than conventional oils".

That's a direct quote from a bottle dated 1993 I have on hand and it sure sounds like a veiled reference to ester content to me. Synthetics, Group III or Group IV, need ester content anyway to avoid seal shrinkage.

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:
Picked up 6L yesterday at Walmart for about $6.60/L Cnd.. good price for an Ester based oil.

You must've gone to the Winston Churchill Walmart didn't you? I left those 6 bottles there for you, I have been eyeing them for two weeks now, and if nobody bought them in a week or two I was going to add them to my collection.
smile.gif

Hahaa... Actually I was at the Dundas/Trafalgar Walmart..
tongue.gif
For those in the Miss area, the Canadian Tire at Mavis/Britannia has the German Castrol in stock but not on the shelf since they want to sell the old stuff first. Just ask the guys to get it from the back.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:
Hahaa... Actually I was at the Dundas/Trafalgar Walmart..
tongue.gif
For those in the Miss area, the Canadian Tire at Mavis/Britannia has the German Castrol in stock but not on the shelf since they want to sell the old stuff first. Just ask the guys to get it from the back.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Thanks for the tips! I snagged those last 6 bottles from the Winston Churchill Walmart yesterday by the way.
smile.gif

What is the lot # on the bottom of the bottle? I wonder when we'll see a new batch # show up here? This stuff should start selling faster now that the cold weather is here. These stores might even be able to get rid of their old yellow label 0w30! Maybe we should buy up the old yellow label stuff and give it to our friends and family as Christmas presents!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
You guys have names for your Wal-Marts that are W A Y too cool.
canada.gif

Hehe, it's not like the Walmart has that name, it's just that it's located near Winston Churchill Boulevard and Highway 401.
smile.gif

It's actually located in a town called Meadowvale, so the signs in the store say "Thank You for shopping at your Meadowvale Walmart" This particular store services all my needs now, as they've started selling Krispy Kreme donuts in there too!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back