Now a serious question, replacement funnel

My father had one of these, funnel got old brittle and broke off, now mine, old brittle broke off the funnel .

Tried using a normal funnel and it sucks,

can you buy the odd looking funnel for this thing by itself? None of the off the shelf I find are big enough , also worrisome but when doing my dodge the oil catch funnel would be much more useful if it was about twice as large, also sucks trying to pour back in the used jug for recycling.

Ah well, has to be a better way that is less prone to becoming very messy with one extra turn of the oil filter

B434A559-5E7F-4C3F-8C23-28205A4E81EA.jpeg

I use a catch pan like the black one above and empty oil bottles to drop off at the recycling depot. They keep the bottles and recycle them as well.

I use an old enameled wash basin. Must be 60 (or more) years old. It's white so any unexpected debris would show up immediately. And I store my oil funnel in it - upside down of course. It's perfect.

And if we ever had to wash a baby we could clean it out really good and use that. We'd have to clean it out really good before resuming oil pan duties of course.

The only problem I ever had with it is it didn't hold all the oil from the BMW. So I cut off a large part of the top of a large juice container and caught a bunch of oil about half way through. It even had a handle. Didn't cost much either! I specialize in cheap.

I use an old enameled wash basin. Must be 60 (or more) years old. It's white so any unexpected debris would show up immediately. And I store my oil funnel in it - upside down of course. It's perfect.

And if we ever had to wash a baby we could clean it out really good and use that. We'd have to clean it out really good before resuming oil pan duties of course.

The only problem I ever had with it is it didn't hold all the oil from the BMW. So I cut off a large part of the top of a large juice container and caught a bunch of oil about half way through. It even had a handle. Didn't cost much either! I specialize in cheap.
My wife says she found it in the alley. Some really elderly neighbours were throwing it out. So it may be more like 80 or 90 years old. If I ever stop changing oil we could probably sell it for a few bucks as an antique.

An additional advantage is the oval shape. Some cars squirt the oil a long way right at the start so you can angle the pan to catch it. And if there is a wind blowing you can face it to catch the wind blown drips too. There are so many advantages I should patent the idea.

Back