Notorious Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the parts that are well known troublemakers.

My submission: Heater hose connections from the GMT800 SUV's by GM with rear heat and AC.

Need to make 3 coolant connections in one spot? Use plastic, of course. Also make sure that one of the two connectors is a different color, and bafflingly more fragile than the darker colored one. Then attach more plastic connectors that don't hold up.

IMG_20181209_235713.jpg

The thermostat housings on 4.0 Mustangs. We've already gone through two of them on the Mustang.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
The thermostat housings on 4.0 Mustangs. We've already gone through two of them on the Mustang.

Same 4.0 used in Rangers and Explorers. Thermostat housings are common in those too. I replaced mine with an aftermarket housing that's cast aluminum. It's much more expensive than the stock plastic one, but it's worth it IMO for a permanent fix.

Originally Posted by exranger06

Same 4.0 used in Rangers and Explorers. Thermostat housings are common in those too. I replaced mine with an aftermarket housing that's cast aluminum. It's much more expensive than the stock plastic one, but it's worth it IMO for a permanent fix.

Yup, customers are more than a little surprised when they start to say it and I go look everything up, there are a couple different housing numbers, and get the quote done in about a minute.

Also the plastic Ranger tailgate handles are super common. You can replace it with the older all metal one but it costs a bit more.

I haven't had trouble with my tailgate handle yet, but I've seen other trucks with broken handles. Also I swear every Chevy truck 99-04 or thereabouts I see on the road always has a broken tailgate handle and/or bezel.

The radiator support in the 4th and 45th gen Maxima rusts even in California

The Focus Zetec thermostat housing sucks, too!
banana2.gif

Another brittle plastic coolant part: the GM V6 heater elbows. The upper one usually cracks where it goes into the intake manifold. Also wise to replace with metal ones, they don't even cost a lot.

elbows.png

Intake gaskets on Vortec 4.3/5.0/5.7 engines. I've owned about half a dozen and had a 100% failure rate. No such issues with TBIs
smile.gif

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Another brittle plastic coolant part: the GM V6 heater elbows. The upper one usually cracks where it goes into the intake manifold. Also wise to replace with metal ones, they don't even cost a lot.

^
ditto on this...all to save about a quarter....

2003-2008 Corolla console tray cover. Digital watch unit develops bad solder joints.

4th gen Maxima digital watch unit develops bad solder joints; same for MAF.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The radiator support in the 4th and 45th gen Maxima rusts even in California

Fortunately mine was still OK last time I checked, I even drilled it to attach a remote trans filter. But it belongs in this topic for sure.

GMT400: Parking brake handle, interior door handles (dummies pulling on them to close the door), tailgate handle, OEM fuel injection harness (junk). My dad has a GMT400 work truck and one of his employees broke the parking brake handle literally back to back.
GMT800: Steering shaft and tailgate handle
MK4 VW: Rear beam bushings (pre 03), center console latch (pre 03), dash cupholder (pre 03) power window clips that hold the glass (pre 03), fan control modules, 1.8T coolant elbow, VR6 crackpipe. I replaced all the pre-03 things on my 2000 Golf when I had it, although it was pretty beat.

Honda 2/3 and 4/5 shift sensors on 2003-2006 J35's 5-speed transmissions. Lasts less than 100K miles. Fortunately easy to replace, but has caused many a heart stopping dealer "replace transmission" diagnosis.

Honda Pilot driver's 6 way power seat frame, cracks and rocks, and is a $600 assembly to replace. Fix is to remove two bolts, grind 2 rivets, and bolt in a fabricated steel plate replacement.

Dakota- aftermarket upper 2 piece radiator hose replacements. There is not enough barb on either side of the "T" to hook them up to. Simply buy the Mopar one-piece hose including the T in the middle, or suffer endless coolant leaks and vents.

Dakota power window elevator assembly.

Dakota Magnum V6 heads. Intake and Exhaust are too close, the thin metal in between cracks, the valves shift in their seats and the thing starts burning oil.

Dakota... oh never mind I might be here too long.

Toyota.... meep meep horn needs immediate replacement for being too quiet and ignorable. Had to replace AUX jack after 150K miles. OK... not much wrong with 187K on the Toyota.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Almost anything touched by Cardone.

Cardone and Dorman are the bane of my existence.

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
X3 for Dorman and Cardon't. From CV axles to PS pumps. All trouble. How about 90% of hub bearings? All seem to fail with no consistency.

Is there any other rebuild outfit besides Cardone? I need a PS pump for my truck

The rear outside trim panel on 04-09 prii that has the liftgate handle. It's only held in with those plastic Xmas-tree style rivets, and people lift on the handle way more violently than anticipated if the hatch is frozen shut.

I fixed mine real good with drywall screws but they're visible and a little ugly.

20 yrs of old BMWs spoiled me. On old Ford Rangers, the wiring connections crumble whenever unplugged. Newer Bmw plastics used in the cooling systems are designed to bio-degrade.

5.7 HEMI water pumps. They extended the warranty on them on 2013-2017 model Durango's and Grand Cherokee's. One of my friends has been through 4 or 5 at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back