Notorious Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by E150GT
Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
X3 for Dorman and Cardon't. From CV axles to PS pumps. All trouble. How about 90% of hub bearings? All seem to fail with no consistency.

Is there any other rebuild outfit besides Cardone? I need a PS pump for my truck

Lares rebuilds PS pumps better than Cardone
smile.gif

Jorgen is good for racks jorgenauto.com

Powerstop reman calipers aren't Cardone

The GMT-800 auxiliary heat fittings are a 10-year/100,000 mile expected lifespan part/s as is the 3800 elbows, GM should/could have done better.....But they didn't.
On GMT-800 pick-ups.....The plastic adapters only break when manhandled or bumped into, My 400,000 mile 2500HD still has the originals on it; One will blow off now that I bragged about it!!!

GMT-800 with gas engines......Knock sensors, Intake gaskets, EVAP vent valves, Compressors, Broken wires at the throttle body harness, Broken exhaust manifold bolts.
GMT-800 with Duramax/Allison.....Trans cooler lines, Range Sensor, LB7 Injectors, LLY Injector control wires rubbing through.
GMT-800 (General) HVAC actuators, Intermediate steering shaft, Transfer Case Pump Rub, Wheel Bearings.
Interesting fact......I have NEVER replaced a main heater core or a evaporator core on the thousands of GMT-800 platform trucks I've worked on!

Dodge 3rd Gen, The vast majority are diesel......Injectors, Heater Cores, Evaporator Cores, Broken HVAC doors, Compressors, Radiators, Fan Clutch, Wack-a-mole on suspension parts, Lift Pump & relocate kits, Governor pressure solenoid & Transducer on 47RE/48RE.

Ford Truck.
Gas Truck.....COILS & plugs, 5.4L 3V VVT Phasers/Timing chains/Tensioners/Guides, Injectors, EVAP leaks from the "capless" filler necks, O2 sensors, Vacuum leaks from the "natural rubber" PCV-Brake booster components, Catastrophic compressor failure since they went to TXV.

Diesel....
6.0L....Injectors & Hold-downs, Oil Coolers, Early HPOP's, Head Gaskets, EGR Coolers, Degas bottles, FICM(low voltage), Sticking Unison Ring on the VGT, FUBARed injector harnesses from prior idiot's, Engine Harness repair.
6.4L....Radiators & Cab Mounts, Injectors, HPFP, Rocker Arms, Engine, Turbos.
6.7L....Complete fuel system overhaul from CP4 injection pump failures, Turbo.

I would include the common transmission failures.....But the list would be LONG!

45th gen Maxima? Ha...

Early-2000s GM power window regulators. Also, several generations of VW and BMW p/w regulators.

08+ Chrysler minivan heater pipes between engine and firewall. Just like the GM elbows, aftermarket metal to replace crap factory plastic is good.

GM 3800 upper intakes. Also, Ford 4.6 upper intakes.

GM Epsilon and Delta platform front lower control arms. Also, 1st/1.5st (?) Escape/Tribute/Mariner control arms.

GM Ecotec valve cover w/ integral PCV. Also, 1.4/1.8 t-stat housings.

Subaru head gaskets. They have "fixed" them about 4,000 times through redesigns that seem to have not done anything. Makes finding parts for some years very hard, due to 2 or 3 engine revisions/codes during that year, all with different parts.

GM 3.6 VVT actuators and timing chains.

GMT800 gauge clusters.

Nissan VQ40 auto trans coolers inside the radiators. Also, I think some Mercedes 3.5 V6 transmission set-ups had the same problem.

This crosses over to the transmission forum, but if we're talking sub-assemblies, the Ford PowerShift, JATCO CVTs and Honda 5-speed autos are all notorious.

1.4 Turbo motor in Cruz and Sonic - everyone will experience: brittle coolant parts (thermostat housing, overflow line fitting and the side plastic hose connection. They just fall apart and leak. Then there is also the valve covers that the internal PVC gasket fails because the check valve in the intake break off and allows too much boost in the PCV system. Most people will just replace the valve cover the 1st time until it goes bad again in a month then they figure out it needs another valve cover and also the intake to correct the problem.

Just replaced my 2006 transfer case for pump rub and did the heater hose quick connects a few months ago.

Cadillac CTS 2008-2011ish WILL have timing chain issues (along with other 3.6L models), control arms that squeak and rub loudly, water pump leaks, and will need sunroof seals due to wind noise and leaks. A few others things I cannot remember.

Any Cadillac with the CUE system.......the screens will go bad. The touch screen will become inoperative. I've replaced them on ATS, CTS, XTS, Escalades so far ranging from 2011-2014.

Oh lord I can go on with these pattern failures and not just GM.

Last edited:
Interior parts on various Toyotas - the 2nd gen Prius driver's door panel have weak armrests. Also, most Toyotas have a coolant hose from [censored] that if it fails and the engine overheats, you're looking at the very least a BHG.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

I would include the common transmission failures.....But the list would be LONG!

Would love to hear your input on high failure transmission components.

Originally Posted by nthach
Interior parts on various Toyotas - the 2nd gen Prius driver's door panel have weak armrests. Also, most Toyotas have a coolant hose from [censored] that if it fails and the engine overheats, you're looking at the very least a BHG.

I'm assuming you're talking about the oil filter cooler hose on GR 3.5 V6s. It does rupture more than never, and if it does, the engine is often toast. But it spews oil, not coolant.

The older MZ V6 had a coolant bypass hose under the valley plate that would leak, but rarely was it catastrophic, unless owned by someone that never checked coolant. And it's a PITA to replace.

I'll also bring up Northstar head bolts/head gaskets. Surprised nobody mentioned them yet, given the massive failure rate of pre-refresh units.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Intake gaskets on Vortec 4.3/5.0/5.7 engines. I've owned about half a dozen and had a 100% failure rate. No such issues with TBIs
smile.gif

Me too. I've had to have the intake gaskets replaced three times on my 98 K1500 with the 5.7L since new. It just turned over 137,000 miles today and the last replacement was years ago.

Originally Posted by KalapanaBlack
I'll also bring up Northstar head bolts/head gaskets. Surprised nobody mentioned them yet, given the massive failure rate of pre-refresh units.

If the block counts as a part.... The rings on Northstar motors too.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

X3 for Dorman and Cardon't. From CV axles to PS pumps. All trouble. How about 90% of hub bearings? All seem to fail with no consistency.

Is there any other rebuild outfit besides Cardone? I need a PS pump for my truck

Lares rebuilds PS pumps better than Cardone
smile.gif

Jorgen is good for racks jorgenauto.com

Powerstop reman calipers aren't Cardone

After 4 leaking or noisy reman ps pumps I got a used OEM and been happy for many miles / years. Get a Junkyard part off eBay or car-part.com

How about Ford's brilliant spark plug! Making cars for over 100 years, can't make a spark plug correctly. I had people bugging me about these stupid plugs for years because I'm the only car guy they know.

[Linked Image]

How about you do it yourself for $20?

I rebuilt the PS pump on two of our three vehicles, neither job cost more than $20 for seals and bearings.

How about Ford's brilliant spark plug!

Now that's a winner! That has kept me from buying more than one used Ford vehicle in the past few years. Sheer stupidity, there. The fact the aftermarket had to create a special tool to deal with this incompetence says a lot.

Every time a person says, "Well, the engineers/manual/manufacturer know best, trust them..." - just think of this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MrMoody
Another brittle plastic coolant part: the GM V6 heater elbows. The upper one usually cracks where it goes into the intake manifold. Also wise to replace with metal ones, they don't even cost a lot.

Did this as preventive maintenance on our buick .

Thid whole design is crazy .

There is no need / reason for coolant to fliw through that bracket . And even crazire to make the elbowa from plastic ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back