Notice in Toyota owners manual

Status
Not open for further replies.
the owners manual not the service manual 04 toyota
says:
Disc in drum type parking brake system
your vehicle has a drum in disc type parking system. this type of brake system needs bedding down of the brake shoes periodically or whenever the parking brake shoes and or drums are replaced. have your toyota dealer.......

what does this mean?

Your rears have disc brakes, but then inside the hat are little drum shoes for the parking brake. The parking brake should be periodically used, and if the rotors are replaced the parking brake should be used to burn off any oils inside.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Your rears have disc brakes, but then inside the hat are little drum shoes for the parking brake. The parking brake should be periodically used, and if the rotors are replaced the parking brake should be used to burn off any oils inside.

^ Exactly. ^

The oils should, in theory, be taken care of with brake parts cleaner before installing the rotor, but it's always a good idea to bed in the parking brake shoes a bit. In practice I suspect this is rarely done.

Last edited:
I use the parking brake when coming to a rest at the state highway lights (every 2-3 miles or so!) most ALL THE TIME.
I apply it during the last 5mph when I de-clutch instead of using the service brake.
That is:
+ De-clutch,
+ feet off all three pedals,
+ pull up on P-king brake.
+ come to stop.

Very relaxing and confuses the driver behind me
smile.gif

I use mine every night... Driveway has the slightest of inclines,no where near enough you actually need the parking brake, but just enough that I hate the feeling of the car rolling back onto the parking pawl.

I've seen parking - mini disc style MECHANICAL cam JAMB brakes - on a truck I owned - cant recall which.

iT WAS ONE UNIT ON THE REAR DIFF AT THE END OF THE DRIVESHAFT ( BEHIND THE u JOINT YOKE

Maybe my 96 F350 wt DIESEL?

Last edited:
They have vehicle inspections in New York? I wished we had them in Nebraska. It would get some junk off of the road. But Nebraskans would consider that governmental interference in ones personal life and therefore not desirable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back