Not what I had in mind for a Friday evening.

Last weekend we took the toys out to the desert. On the way back my anti lock gizmo put the brakes on out of nowhere. Had to pull over and trouble shoot that just to get home.

Fixed that Tuesday.

Drove the truck to work yesterday as a test drive. On my way home the weather was nice so I turned off the ac and rolled down the windows.

I heard a new noise. Pulled over on an empty stretch of road and found a broken spring.

Just so happens that I know a guy that scraps cars. He had the springs I needed on a truck just like mine,exact same weights and all.

So I put springs on my truck tonight. Definitely not fun working on the dirt.

My Harbor freight earthquake impact and impact sockets worked flawlessly.
IMG_20210402_181112960_HDR.jpg

Living on that dirt road probably is what did it in, constant suspension travel compared to a nice smooth paved road.

My Harbor freight earthquake impact and impact sockets worked flawlessly.
Why wouldn’t they? The speed at which your stuff doesn’t rust at... the fact that nothing was frozen leaves me jealous.

This is your ‘87 F250? I think I’ve only ever seen pictures of fabled vehicles this old, like in books or old movies. Vehicles don’t last that long in real life, right?

Makes me all the madder that I lost a spring last year. On my much newer truck! :mad:

Why wouldn’t they? The speed at which your stuff doesn’t rust at... the fact that nothing was frozen leaves me jealous.

This is your ‘87 F250? I think I’ve only ever seen pictures of fabled vehicles this old, like in books or old movies. Vehicles don’t last that long in real life, right?

Makes me all the madder that I lost a spring last year. On my much newer truck! :mad:
Hey I did spray all the bolts down with liquid wrench 5 min before I started.

Don't worry, I'll post pics when I'm home later of my rust free 25 year old Jeep :ROFLMAO:

Here's those pics I promised, factory brake lines and exhaust!
8347B9F9-F525-47FC-840B-BA3ACADCBE0A.jpeg
7A044478-5A18-454C-9EB1-3A525BBD6382.jpeg

You suck. I’ve seen worse, new on the lot (*cough* Silverado *cough*).

Somedays I really wonder if I had the chance to do it all over again, if I wouldn’t just move south. No more long winter nights and no more destroyed vehicles.

You suck. I’ve seen worse, new on the lot (*cough* Silverado *cough*).

Somedays I really wonder if I had the chance to do it all over again, if I wouldn’t just move south. No more long winter nights and no more destroyed vehicles.
Makes sense to me. I want to move to Az where I can ride to the market and then go explore old mines.

The last 4 Grand Wagoneers needed a front spring-ectomy each time during about the time for the run for the Super Bowl. Often there was snow on the ground. First I had to get the spring off the previous /now parts Wag. I used a wire brush and oil, a 1/2 driver Craftsman ratchet and a few cheaters up to 5' long. I be listening to the Pats on the radio. Rinse and repeat, mix and match to end up with an intact spring pack.. Great job for cold weather. It was the washboard road out to Saquish that did the springs in. :cool:

Back