Not very impressed with Nokian Hakapelliita 8 studded tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far after a couple 6 inch snow storms my new Nokian 8 studded tires have not been very impressive. They are okay to a point, but any slip, and the traction goes away. Not very predictable. Even on icy intersections they don't have great grip either. I only have a couple hundred miles on them but when I first put them on they were the loudest tire ever on dry pavement. Sounded like I had chains on, but have gotten a little quieter. They are 205/65-15's on a 02 Camry, and the 5 different sets of Blizzaks on 3 other Camry's over the years seemed better. The 50% worn WS-80's on my 12 Camry inspire more confidence, and also work better the new Michelin X-ice's on my Tahoe. I guess I will just have to deal with them for a few years though. I'll see how they do in an ice storm, which is why I wanted them, but starting to wonder. I'll be doing the 10 minute swap to my Cooper Evolutions often, which work well on this car when dry.

IMG_4943.JPG

Last edited:
I too had a set of studded tires that didn't live up to my expectations, I don't recall the brand. Also had a set that the shop used the wrong length stud (too long) and the vibration was so intense I gave them away.

These don't look like a good snow tread to me. Maybe they are more for Ice than snow? I love Hankook Ipikes, I've worn out 4 sets over the years. Deviated and tried Yokohama Ice Guard and Michelin Alpins and was hugely disappointed.

Just a small point, the tire brand/model is *Nokian Hakkapeliitta* (according to friends who speak Suomi)

I wonder what you describe is more generic to metal studded tires. I never liked them and never will. I always like the variants of studless tech I have had since the the Blizzack WS-50.

I think it might have to do with the studs which are meant for ice and not typical winter weather. I think they might be doing a disservice because they are keeping the tire off the road in terms of surface area gripping the road which is limiting it's traction in all other situations when there isn't ice present. https://www.outsideonline.com/2359001/studded-tires-winter-car-prep

My Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3's are great and they are unstudded.

Last edited:
Seems like studs only do well on deep tread snow tires that use them (like the BFG Traction A/T 10 ply/LREs on my GMC). I had a set of old 13 inch studded snows on the front of a FWD Civic years ago, and the front end would walk sideways on turns when accelerating, snow, ice, or dry. Actually made it less predictable and more dangerous than all-seasons. Studless winters seem to be the best on cars, and even small SUVs, my XJ does very well with them, although snow of over 5-6 inches makes regular A/Ts better (IMO).

Originally Posted by StevieC
I think it might have to do with the studs which are meant for ice and not typical winter weather. I think they might be doing a disservice because they are keeping the tire off the road in terms of surface area gripping the road which is limiting it's traction in all other situations when there isn't ice present. https://www.outsideonline.com/2359001/studded-tires-winter-car-prep

My Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3's are great and they are unstudded.

I was thinking the same thing...

Is there a particular reason why studs are needed in Iowa?

There is a very very narrow set of conditions where studded tires are useful. Otherwise, studless snow tires are always better.

And of course a 100 metal studs per tire will be noisy! And Nokian's studs have little shock absorbers inside and retract when not on ice. Other companies' studs are even worse.

You would probably like the Nokian R3 studless tires.

Originally Posted by Traction
So far after a couple 6 inch snow storms my new Nokian 8 studded tires have not been very impressive. They are okay to a point, but any slip, and the traction goes away. Not very predictable. Even on icy intersections they don't have great grip either. I only have a couple hundred miles on them but when I first put them on they were the loudest tire ever on dry pavement. Sounded like I had chains on, but have gotten a little quieter. They are 205/65-15's on a 02 Camry, and the 5 different sets of Blizzaks on 3 other Camry's over the years seemed better. The 50% worn WS-80's on my 12 Camry inspire more confidence, and also work better the new Michelin X-ice's on my Tahoe. I guess I will just have to deal with them for a few years though. I'll see how they do in an ice storm, which is why I wanted them, but starting to wonder. I'll be doing the 10 minute swap to my Cooper Evolutions often, which work well on this car when dry.

Studs are kind of a tradeoff these days. Way back when, studs were about the only way to get any traction on ice, but as tires have evolved the rubber is good enough it's sufficient in most situations. But, on sheer ice, studs are still totally unbeatable. The problem is on everything else, studs suck. They ride and handle terribly, they're super loud and they tear up the roads. Your braking and grip will actually be a bit worse on dry and wet roads. If you don't regularly get sheer ice, studs are honestly not going to be great for you.

I live in one of the snowiest places in the continental US. Not only that, but we tend to have a lot of days where it gets JUST warm enough to melt a bit, and then cold enough to freeze every night, so I do have some experience in these sorts of things. I've never owned, nor do I want, a 4WD, but with care and snows on all 4 corners I always make it home.

Now, there is another angle here, as well. Tires do need some break in, and snows suffer for it more. Given as those Nokians still have the paint on them, I'm guessing they're not broken in yet. Most manufacturers recommend 500 miles or so to get all the lubricant from the molds off the tire. That said, the Hakka is a top tier snow tire and both from anecdotal evidence and testing, they are pretty consistently top of the heap in terms of performance. Give it some time and then see if you like them. I've never known Nokian to make a bad product, and snow tires are what they do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
There is a very very narrow set of conditions where studded tires are useful. Otherwise, studless snow tires are always better.

Not when you look at the comparison tests. In all those I've seen the best studded tires beat the best studless tires in most conditions; the biggest exception is when the temperature drops much below -15C, because it's around that temperature that ice becomes too hard for the studs to dig into.

Otherwise, I'd take my Hakka 8s pretty much anywhere around the city (and plenty of places outside it) in pretty much any weather conditions we get here. I've driven the Forester a lot on snow-covered gravel roads in the winter, and never had a problem I didn't cause myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back