Not using Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although our 2008 Cadillac clearly indicates that only Mobil 1 should be used, my local Cadillac is using full synthetic Valvoline. A six quart change is about $60.00. This is a savings, but not what is called for.
Any thoughts?
Charlie

Manufacturers can only recommend and oil, but can't mandate it without providing it free of charge.

You can use Valvoline with confidence as it is one of the best oils out there IMO.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Valvoline Synpower 5W-30 and 10W-30 both meet the GM4718M spec and are perfectly fine for use in your car.

This is the only correct answer so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Mark888
Valvoline Synpower 5W-30 and 10W-30 both meet the GM4718M spec and are perfectly fine for use in your car.

This is the only correct answer so far (never thought I would say that about a post from chevrofreak).

smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: CBOYLE15
Although our 2008 Cadillac clearly indicates that only Mobil 1 should be used, my local Cadillac is using full synthetic Valvoline. A six quart change is about $60.00. This is a savings, but not what is called for.
Any thoughts?
Charlie

It doesn't state only M1 be used. That logo on the fill cap just indicates a recommened oil that was used for factory fill as well. I use Mobil 1 in my GM cars that came with it as factory fill (Corvette and 2008 CTS). But you can use any oil as long as it meets the spec as indicated in the other post.

doesn't the caddi have the oil filter on top or accessible from above the vehicle? if so, buy a liquivac and DIY for less than half the cost..

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Manufacturers can only recommend and oil, but can't mandate it without providing it free of charge.

You can use Valvoline with confidence as it is one of the best oils out there IMO.

They can require a specification, and then you'd be required to use a product that meets those specs.

The Cadillac needs a GM 4718M approved oil. Mobil 1 5w-30 is one of them. The list seems to change frequently, so it's possible that Valvoline is now approved, but I would check to be sure.

If your referring to people's opinions on Synpower, opinions don't have a correct or incorrect answer. Is that what you were referring to?

Originally Posted By: CBOYLE15
Any thoughts?
Charlie

Mobil1 bought that advertising space. GM does not require you use Mobil1. I wouldn't run Mobil1 either so I understand.I would/do run Shaeffers Series 9000 5 or 10/30 in my GM high performance motors and my new Silverado 5.3L with outstanding results. Excellent oil.
http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/9003.pdf
Supreme 9000 Racing Oil SAE 5W-30 meets and exceeds the following
specifications and manufacturers’ requirements: MIL-PRF- 46152E, CID A-A-
52039B, API Service Classification SM/CF, ILSAC GF-4, ACEA A1/B1, ACEA
A5/B5-04, JIS K 2202, Ford WWS M2C929-A, General Motors 6049M, General
Motors 4718M, Chrysler MS 6395, Daimler Chrysler MB 229.1 and MB 229.2,

Actually StevieC's response is also accurate.

Last edited:
I have nothing against Mobil 1; I've used it for years. But lately I have switched to Valvoline Synpower only because I read unbiased scientific specs from a comprehensive oil comparison test that indicated Valvoline is actually better in many categories. I can't recall where online I found the chart; if someone knows where it is that would be great.

It is interesting to note that Wal Mart (at least in my area) has dropped Mobil 1 to $22.00 for a five quart bottle. I believe Valvoline is $21 and Penzoil is $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back