Not that I would, But (What if)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, On a rotory engine, because they inject oil into the rotors for lubrication, and the only thing the oil in the sump does is to lube the crank and inside the rotors, what would happen if you just filled the engine with TC-W 3! What qualities does this oil have or does not have for being a crankcase oil?? What weight would it be??

Dumb question I know, But just curious!!

Hasbeen

If you have a spare motor, go for it.

You'd have to do a VOA on the type of premix oil to see what its specs are.

Problem with 2 stroke oil is:
what API cert?
what SAE weight?
cold/hot performance?
TBN/TAN?
additive package?

I don't think that it was a dumb question. Sometimes I wonder why Mazda still injects motor oil. With all the idiot-proofing engineering in the RX-8, would it've been to hard to spec a separate 2-stroke oil reservoir? or is the typical consumer too ignorant to top off two distinct oil levels?

UnDummy,
Your last sentence might be the burden of proof. I know most here would check ALL fluids. Who can guarantee Mazda that all other crackheads out there will? I know my wife wouldn't.....she couldn't even re-fill the washer fluid.
rolleyes.gif

I raised a similar issue the other day, with similar discussion and results.

The Oldsmobile turbo of the 60s had water/methanol injection to control detonation.

In a combination of cock-ups, apparently Olds stated that the bottle had to be filled with "Oldsmobile Rocket Fuel", and charged accordingly, and customers buying a specialty vehicle couldn't be bothered filling the bottle anyway.

I wonder how a Delvac 1 or another diesel oil would do in a roatry. They need good film strength for the apex seals (I think, becsuse they inject the oil into the combustion chamber to lubricate them). The Diesel oil would also clean out any carbon deposits which roatrys are known for.

OO Scrub:

I`ve posted this one other time, but My wife drives an 87 Non Turbo RX/7! Ever sence it has had 125,000 miles on it, (bought it as a toy) I have been putting Delo 15-40 in it! It always had carbon problems with Castrol! Now the engine has 275,000 Mi. Runs great and NO carbon problems! I`m shooting for 300,000!!

Hasbeen

Unless Mazda had blearing klaxons and flashing strobes when the tank was low, and a 5 gallon tank, I'd bet that the 2 cycle oil would run empty if they tried using a separate tank...

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
Unless Mazda had blearing klaxons and flashing strobes when the tank was low, and a 5 gallon tank, I'd bet that the 2 cycle oil would run empty if they tried using a separate tank...

A 1 gallon tank would easily last a typical oil change interval(1 quart per 1000miles). Toss in a 2500rpm rev limiter when you were at the last pint would do wonders in making sure it was topped off regularly.

Mazda has used blaring klaxons/flashing strobes for years. OK, maybe not blaring/flashing but the coolant/redline/oillevel have their idiot lights/buzzers.

Most rotary owners know the importance of frequent change intervals and regular oil topoffs. Topping of two stroke instead off motor oil would be no problem.

[ December 07, 2003, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: unDummy ]

Easy, the electronic controls cut the motor if the oil runs out, with plenty of warning beforehand. Just like a low fuel warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back