Not sure of the PSI of my tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Taurus and I checked the tire pressure and they are all different. I don't know where to find what the exact PSI should be.

How can I find it or is there a general area where it should be?

Thanks.

All car and trucks have a sticker either in the driver side inside door panel or drivers side passenegers inside door panel. It lists many things which also include the tire pressure.

You could be on the inside of the gas door. Check and inflate your tires when they are cold for accurate reading. According to my owners manual cold pressure means driven less than 1 mile or standing for at least 3 hours. Checking it in the morning is the best time. If its warm it will be like 2-3 psi more than it is. So if you inflate them warm just add 2-3 more than what you want to put in. I usually put my tires about 10psi below the max.

My BMW manual indicates about 28 front and 33 REAR for normal load. higher with full load.

Why the higher rear pressure than front?

quote:

Originally posted by Russell:
My BMW manual indicates about 28 front and 33 REAR for normal load. higher with full load.

Why the higher rear pressure than front?

To dial in a bit of understeer for the average driver.

Some Fords (the Crown Victoria comes to mind) put the placard on the passenger's side rear door. The Taurus should be on the driver's door. 1994-2004 Mustangs I believe all have them in the glove box...

Here's tidbit you may not know - I figured this out a few months back. Needless to say my wife (also a mechanical engineer) was somewhat underwhelmed. I just can't get her excited about car stuff.
frown.gif

Maximum inflation pressures on most 70-75 Series times runs @ 35 psi, or 2.5 bar
(14.7 psi = one atmosphere) ...

Maximum inflation pressures on most 55-65 Series tires run @ 44 psi, or 3.0 bar ...

Maximum inflation pressures on most 40-50 Series tires run @ 51 psi, or 3.5 bar ...

So tires have gone to an ISO/Metric standard with regards to inflation pressures.

TS

I think you'll find that 36 psi = 2.5 bar

And to clarify:

P metric tires (US based standard) use 35 psi as the end point for the load table

Metric tires (European based standard) use 36 psi as the end point for the load table.

Metric tires (Japanese based standard) use 35 psi as the end point for the load table.

The end point of the load table is not to be confused with the maximum pressure put on the sidewall.

Confusing? You bet!! One of these days we'll have a worldwide standard, but it's taken a long time to get this far, and we have a long way to go!!

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back