Not one, but two old 427 V8s

everything i have seen says yes indeed a side-oiler block and medium riser heads
the tunnel port would have been an awesome (potential choice) as the 302 tunnel port head was done for le man type races and not drag racing. the high riser (needs a much higher hood - ie the big bubble on the 427 Thunderbolt ford factory drag car)

most dont know that the cammer was also a hemi as well ;) as in single overhead camshaft hemispherical combustion chamber - that incredibly long cam chain was extremly problematic
55 years later, and still nobody has a good way to drive overhead cams. Chains stretch. Belts break. Gears are expensive. (Back in the day, Sneaky Pete Robinson worked up a gear drive for his Cammer drag car.) Current standard in the industry is chains with hydraulic tensioner and guides around the entire path. I prefer gears, even if they are expensive. I bet a full set of precision powder metal gears would not be much more expensive than the Rube Goldberg chain systems they have today.

everything i have seen says yes indeed a side-oiler block and medium riser heads
the tunnel port would have been an awesome (potential choice) as the 302 tunnel port head was done for le man type races and not drag racing. the high riser (needs a much higher hood - ie the big bubble on the 427 Thunderbolt ford factory drag car)

most dont know that the cammer was also a hemi as well ;) as in single overhead camshaft hemispherical combustion chamber - that incredibly long cam chain was extremly problematic
Yep, as was the BOSS 9, though it had a tiny quench area on the edge of the chamber in street trim. I've seen some interesting variations of the SOHC timing systems including a pretty sweet belt drive as well as a gear setup.

427sohcgilmer1.jpg

427.jpg

d815608c9751cb9c2104b7191f8477c8.jpg

Yep, as was the BOSS 9, though it had a tiny quench area on the edge of the chamber in street trim. I've seen some interesting variations of the SOHC timing systems including a pretty sweet belt drive as well as a gear setup.

View attachment 34416

View attachment 34418

View attachment 34419
Yep. That last picture is of Pete Robinson's gear drive. Here is an excellent story on Pete: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/the-legend-of-sneaky-pete-robinson/?galleryimageid=181
He was an innovator.

That was a hoot! I especially got a kick from the Studebaker Lark placing 2nd right on the bumper of the '64 427 Galaxy. I don't remember if the Lark was available with a V8. All I ever saw back in the day were inline 6's. Studebaker had some decent V8's back in the 1960's.

The #32 Studebaker was pretty impressive too. I had no idea they could be as fast as that ultra fast company. And yes Studebaker had at least one V8, 289 cubic inches if memory serves correctly. Don't know if you could get it in a Lark.

Back