Not one, but two old 427 V8s

That reminds me of tracking my Miata. I'd catch plenty of 'fast' cars through the corners, they'd give me a point by and then mat the throttle and there was no way I could catch/pass them. Good show!

I just watched this, and got a kick out of seeing the big Yank Tanks on the course with Cortinas nipping at their heels. Then there were a lot of other Goodwood races to watch, and then the afternoon was shot. But it was all great racing. Overpowered cars on skinny tires look like they're fun to drive.

Loved watching the little Minis flying sideways through the corners - they look like the most fun!

Sad to see that very, very rare $$$ Galaxy 427 smoke it’s engine - that will be a hefty bill if it’s numbers matching!!

the real question is....which variant of the 427?
lr, mr, hr, tp, sohc ?
so or non-so?

Let me see if I can decipher the Ford-speak:
lr = low riser
mr = medium riser
hr = high riser
tp = tunnel port
sohc = single overhead cam (cammer, to the Ford faithful)
so = side oiler

Let me see if I can decipher the Ford-speak:
lr = low riser
mr = medium riser
hr = high riser
tp = tunnel port
sohc = single overhead cam (cammer, to the Ford faithful)
so = side oiler

all correct

now...how many have you seen in person?
as i have not only seen them all but raced against them all ;)
not sure really which is more exotic the tp heads or the sohc as they are both ultra rare
my cousins 427sohc '32coup was on the cover of the halibrand catalog for a while

all correct

now...how many have you seen in person?
as i have not only seen them all but raced against them all ;)
not sure really which is more exotic the tp heads or the sohc as they are both ultra rare
my cousins 427sohc '32coup was on the cover of the halibrand catalog for a while

The only one that I could swear to would be The Cammer. It was on a 5000-lb modified pulling tractor called The Little American. Roots-blown. Sounded great.
What flavor of Ford 427 was in the GT40's that won LeMans? I would guess side-oiler medium riser. Or maybe tunnel port?

Big iron win, imagiine that........................................

As memory serves, it wasn't always that way. I believe the Mini's and other smaller cars used to do quite well against the big iron when they were competing in anger. Especially on the shorter circuits.

My cousin used to run V-12s there. In Spitfires, when it was RAF Westhampnett.

Ray Sherk at Westhampnett 1941 (2).png

RAF Westhampnett 1941

Ray Sherk at Westhampnett 2010 with Mk IX MH434.jpg

Goodwood Festival 2010

Last edited:
My first car was a 1966 Cortina. It had been raced and needed a rebuild when I bought it. It was setup nice though. I drove it from 15 years old to 17 years old.

The only one that I could swear to would be The Cammer. It was on a 5000-lb modified pulling tractor called The Little American. Roots-blown. Sounded great.
What flavor of Ford 427 was in the GT40's that won LeMans? I would guess side-oiler medium riser. Or maybe tunnel port?

everything i have seen says yes indeed a side-oiler block and medium riser heads
the tunnel port would have been an awesome (potential choice) as the 302 tunnel port head was done for le man type races and not drag racing. the high riser (needs a much higher hood - ie the big bubble on the 427 Thunderbolt ford factory drag car)

most dont know that the cammer was also a hemi as well ;) as in single overhead camshaft hemispherical combustion chamber - that incredibly long cam chain was extremly problematic

Back