Not looking good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article000470209.cfm?x=b5Mgc6M,b38lLn1r

quote:

Several major lubricant suppliers have imposed allocations, a large chunk of the nation’s base oil capacity remains offline and additive companies are reportedly struggling to obtain scarce raw materials. Observers say it adds up to the most trouble the industry has faced in memory and warn that – in some respects – it may not have hit bottom yet.

quote:

ExxonMobil and Shell both confirmed that they have imposed allocations on finished lubricants. In response to an inquiry from Lube Report, ExxonMobil said its allocation – effective Oct. 1 – is 100 percent on an aggregate basis, meaning customers generally cannot order more than their monthly average. It noted, however, that restrictions are tighter on some products. For example, Mobil 1 products have a cap of 65 percent of normal purchases, while some 5W grades of motor oil are limited to 60 percent.

I've only got 172 quarts in my oil room and that Castrol Start Up on clearance at Meijer is looking better and better.

Guess some here should get used to longer OCI. How else can you assure an adaquate supply and have reserves of the BITOG mandatory 20+ gallon stash
confused.gif

I'm actually dipping into my strategic reserve
shocked.gif
I'll have to go and clear a shelf at Wally World soon.
grin.gif

Shell's allocation is 90% on bulk product and 65% on cased goods. The only speciality oil not being affected is the Platinum. The base stock production is about 20% of this, but the main reason for the problem is the lack of additives. This is just not happening to Mobil and Shell, it's everyone. It won't be long before the smaller blenders get hit. Shell is in the process now of shipping additives from Europe. This sucks, but you cannot blame the oil company's for this, blame the lousy weather.

I'm actually returning some of the oil I bought over the past couple of years on clearance. I've returned 50 bottles of SL oil to walmart in the past two months. I still have 107 bottles of oil left that is nonreturnable at walmart because they don't carry the oils I have left (hav syn, kendall synblend, exxon high mileage). I don't need that many and wanted to avoid an oil shortage like buster posted especially since gas is $3/gallon. I figure anything helps

if the shortage gets too bad, I wouldn't mind selling some of my stash to fellow members in the items for sale board.
cheers.gif

let me see, um, gas at $3 to $6 a gallon retail with crude at only $0.20 to $0.65 a gallon production or spot market price.
maybe we will see Mobil 1 and other top synthetics at $10 to $20 a quart soon.
um...change that TPS 6L Ford and oil could cost $260...and a tank of diesel $150 by Feb.

Steelhead...that wasn't very funny.....but true most likely. I can remember complaining about it taking $40 to $50 to fill up my diesel as opposed to $20 giving me more than plenty of gas in the CR-V.

Now it is a major weekly expense to fill up your vehicles....this is just WRONG!!!
mad.gif

I was wondering when this would be brought up on the board. Similar allocations are happening on the antifreeze side as well with many of the glycol manufacturers on the gulf coast declaring Force Majeure. Also, many of the plastics have been disrupted as well causing allocations for companies trying to purchase bottles to package with.

All of this disruption from two hurricanes.

Thanks for the tip! Had my wife go to Wally World and pick up 2 extra 5 qt. jugs of Mobil 1 5w-30. Price was still pretty decent - $20.17. I'm going to 7500 mi OCI on her Corolla and my son's Echo. Still going to keep the 5000 mi OCI on my Prius but if it gets too bad, I'll push that to 7500 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back