Not how I wanted to start off the new year.

My well pump has been getting slow. Last time it did this it was full of sand. It quit yesterday.

Made some calls and they range from " maybe we can blow it out and re casing it" to " you need a new $50k well"... I can't do a $50k well.

Tonight I got my pump out that I keep for this emergency. I'm sucking water from my 2000 gallon storage tank and pumping it into my pressure tank. Once the storage is gone I'll be in bigger trouble as the only water truck here won't take any more customers.

Got a well guy coming next week to pull the pump and see what's going on down there. Then we will know more.

This is my current contraption I came up with about 15 years ago when we were out of water for 3 months and I was hauling water with my pickup.

IMG_20221230_163043981.jpg

How deep is that well? Can you send down a small submersible pump yourself? Without disturbing what's in there? I know someone who did just this with good results. His well was a large enough casing.

Sorry to hear this.

For all the troubles you have had there... is it time to relocate? I can't imagine dropping $50k into a well, I wonder if some of it has to do with how far you are from pavement?
The cost is due to the emissions regulations. All diesel trucks as well as the pony motor that runs the actual drill must be a 2011 model year or newer. Everyone had to buy brand new equipment and the cost is passed onto the consumer.

Current well is 300ft deep. Water is about 275.

I'm afraid every dream location has its price. If it weren't for horrendous Amazon delivery times and too many dirt roads I would have moved to Costa Rica 5 years ago.

$50k well?????? That's crazy.
How deep is the water there?

I just put in a brand new well ...
110' deep
6" casing and liner
1/2hp pump
Only cost me $11k
That is a great price in today's economy.

Surprised in the Midwest only 110' works. I thought 300' minimum in Midwest, and at 300' one will have very hard/ iron water. For non-hard water in the Midwest I was taught about 1,000' needed. 50k for a 1,000 foot well in today's economy seems likely price. And that is if one can find a well driller willing to do it.

Guess the days of our 20 foot shallow point well are gone.1 1/4" point pounded down, thread up the pump, away you go. Old timers said if the screens clog up, fire a 22 down the pipe to shock it open..

How old is the well, and how big is the casing?

Sometimes they can blow it out. Sometimes they can lift the pump and install a screen. There all Band-Aids in the end but what isn't except a new hole I suppose.

Best of luck whatever happens.

My well pump has been getting slow. Last time it did this it was full of sand. It quit yesterday.

Made some calls and they range from " maybe we can blow it out and re casing it" to " you need a new $50k well"... I can't do a $50k well.
Sorry to hear this. Well problems are a frustrating, unnerving emergency. Luckily where I am the drilled well is reasonably shallow, and we usually get plenty of rain, though wee had a deficit to start the year due to not much snow melt.

For me, it's usually around $3000 for a new pump install if they have to pull it, unless you get something fancy like a variable speed unit and controller panel.

We be mostly po' out in the back woods, prices charged reflect this. No crazy smog laws.

Anybody charging an insane $50K doesn't want any business. He has time to pay down and write off his equipment.

I hope this works out reasonably for you.

- Ken

300 feet is down a ways. Well outfits charge for the distance to get to your location plus a set up charge right off the bat. Drilling is charged by the foot as is the casing. There are also permit costs and I would guess California is not cheap in that regard.

Hopefully you can get some other bids.

Back