Not happy with windshield installment

Got out of class to go pick up my car after hours. Needed a new windshield after my last one took a rock.

They stained the A pillars and from what I can tell they put the windshield arms on the wrong side.🤬

Attachments

• IMG_20200922_185540497.jpg
    IMG_20200922_185540497.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_20200922_185549344.jpg
    IMG_20200922_185549344.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_20200922_185635283.jpg
    IMG_20200922_185635283.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_20200922_185657850.jpg
    IMG_20200922_185657850.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 293
In photo #4, that's what they did to your windshield trim or is that rodent damage? Did you at least get American made glass? I will never accept a windshield made in China.

Last edited:
That looks like some of the finest hack work. It is unacceptable.

I would do my best to make sure the windshield company would be making things right on their dime.

I’ve had half a dozen windshields replaced and only ONE where they didn’t screw something up. Safelite is the vendor of choice for USAA, however crappy they may be (in all but one case for me)

I always insist on glass replacement through a local shop, using OEM glass.

They take the car to the dealer for all disassembly / reassembly / programming, the glass shop does the glass ONLY.

I'm sure USAA would rather send Safelite to my house, but they haven't had an issue yet.

I always insist on glass replacement through a local shop, using OEM glass.

They take the car to the dealer for all disassembly / reassembly / programming, the glass shop does the glass ONLY.

I'm sure USAA would rather send Safelite to my house, but they haven't had an issue yet.
This was a local shop with 4.8 stars and has been in business since 1990. I have no idea what the **** they where thinking.

I wouldn't have even taken it home if you have the option to leave it for them to fix now. Once something is off the lot, something something excuses not in warranty excuses.

This was a local shop with 4.8 stars and has been in business since 1990. I have no idea what the **** they where thinking.

I had a very similar experience. Turns out the glass shop was giving people a $5 discount to leave a 5 star review (it was on a sign at the front desk).

If you plan to get the job redone, find which glass shop in your area is authorized to work on Teslas. They seem to be picky about which shops get this line of business and its beneficial to the rest of us consumers.

Also those A-Pillar stains can come off with either isopropyl alcohol or naphtha. I can't remember which one. Dab gently.

That is ridiculous. I would give the shop a chance to make it right.
Even if it’s a highly rated shop the work is only as good as the person doing it.

This happened to me last year. An excellent shop that I trusted, and the guy doing the work this time f'ed up. I let them correct it, but I insisted on letting the guy I knew from past work do the reinstall. It happens. Live and learn (and be frustrated). So far, so good.

My wife had a similar type of experience with surgeons.

Ugh.. What a nightmare. I wonder what the painted surfaces look like that you can't see..

Good tech or bad tech, I don't understand how they'd let that out of the shop. There must be enough people in the world that wouldn't even notice.

The soft bits and paint is so touchy on today's cars, I don't envy those that do this for a living.

Currently I use a small one man shop in town for my automotive glass. He does home/commercial window glass jobs as well. The guy that owns the business does all the work and is very meticulous.

The key to good windshield replacement is to have it done at home. Field installers as a rule have a lot more experience than shop help.

I was about to say Safelite. But, in my most recent interactions with them, they are trying hard to improve their image. No more crappy in-house glass, they’re installing FYG, PGW or Pilkington in many cases and they banned long knives.

the local guys working out of a beat up truck or van installing cheap glass scare me the most. At least you can sue Safelite if things go awry beyond resolution.

Back