Not familiar, input appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as some of you know, my Dad had been battling cancer for about 6 months now. Last week the battle was over and he lost his life. Worse pain I could have ever imagined. They all say that time will heal, but I really ain't seeing it right now.
Anyway, Dad left me his 01 F150, 5.7l super crew 4x4 truck. I changed the oil before I drove back to Oklahoma last night. I want the truck to last, that thing was Dad's and it's got to stay that way. I put in 5 quarts of M1 5W-30 and one quart of M1 10W-30, to thicken it up. Before that, he simply went to walmart and they were using Quaker State with Fram filters. I put a Motorcraft filter on it when I changed the oil out. Anyway, this may be an old topic but I just haven't had the time nor energy to scan old posts, but what would be a good combination for this engine? Is the 5W-30 too thin? I know we've talked about V8's and thin oil, but never paid much attention because I didn't have a V8. I feel good about the Motorcraft filter, as they have done well on this board. This is also a 4x4, my first, what's a good schedule on changing out differentials and trans. fluids. This has "on the fly" 4 wheel drive, no locking hubs, just flip the switch. Oh yeah, do I have to be stopped to go to 2 to high 4 wheel drive? I know to drop to low 4x4 I'll have to stop.
If there is anything you can add to spin me up to date on this truck, I'd appreciate it.

Schmoe sorry to hear about your father .

For the differentials , transfer case and tranny I'd follow the owners manual. You did not post what the miles were on the truck but if it does not burn the 5/30 why not stay with it ? If it does, a step to the 0/40 Supersyn might reduce consumption and is a capable one for sure and would be a good choice for a year round oil .

I think the engine might be a 5.4 liter, not 5.7. The Motorcraft filters i feel are some of the best made. Just go with the 10w-30 from now on. I don't think you will get any benifit in mixing weights.

Ford doesn't have a 5.7L engine for their 2001 F series truck. What you have is probably a 5.4L. I have a 4x4 excursion and shift from 2wd to 4wd high w/o stopping. You may want to look at the owners manual to make sure.

I`m a synthetic guy mostly, but in your climate and age of truck, I personaly think I would use Delo 400, Have the trans powerflushed and fluid changed, as well as changing all other fluids, Brake, Power steering, gear lube! Should then last forever!

Hasbeen

Sorry to hear about your dad.
frown.gif

Not sure how cold it gets n Oklahoma. 5W-30 is probably O.K. Maybe 10W-30 in Summer with a quart of 15W-50 to thicken it up a bit. I assume your trans and transfer case takes Dextron. You might want to drain it and change it. I wouldn't do the flush personally. I have heard bad things from those. You might want to change the front and rear differentials out to synthetic but there is really no rush to do that.

Really just thinking out loud.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I am not familiar with your climate, but I use M1 10w30 all year in my F150, it doesn't usually get much colder than 20F here, I don't see how you could go wrong with 5w30 in winter and 10w30 for summer, Mobil 1 or Amsoil synth are both good choices (based on UOA's). There are a few good F150 forums like www.ford-truck.com if you want some good info. Other than that, follow the recomendations in your owners manual and that truck will last a very long time, the F150's are a very good truck IMO.

Thank you gentlemen. Yes, it's a 5.4.....just a little brain screwed right now. It has right at 24K on it. Didn't see a lot of miles and very, very little four wheeling. Dad, how you say, wasn't exactly into taking care of things as we are here. I drove it up here from Nashville last night and ran GREAT! But geeeeeesh, 15 mpg. I know, it's cheaper than a new truck payment. I did change the air filter, it was factory original, for sure. The differentials I know for a fact haven't been touched so I am toying the idea of changing them out. Nice truck. Came in handy when I drove through that cold front. Since I am kind biased towards M1, what would be a good synthetic for the differentials?

[ December 10, 2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Schmoe ]

You can go from 2H to 4H at any speed up to 55 mph, but you only want to do it on slick surfaces so that you don't bind up the drive train.

You have to be stopped to go into 4Lo. Might even have to be in N or P to do it.

Sorry about your dad. I went thru it with my dad 10+ years ago, cancer as well. It plain sucks, but life does go on.

DEWFPO

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
The Motorcraft filters i feel are some of the best made.

I've been religiously using Motorcraft FL400 and FL400S filters on my '95 Taurus from 17K, when I bought the car, to it's current 144K miles. At around the 132K mile milage, I AutoRXed the engine, and cut the filter apart to see what crud the AutoRX had flushed into the filter.

What I saw was the tell-tale assembly string of a Champion Labs filter
frown.gif
. I switched to K&N oil filters, but now that the local auto stores are trimming back what K&N oil filters they're carrying, they're no longer carrying the replacement for the FL400. So now I'm using Mobil 1 filters.

These are pricey filters, but from what I've seen, they're also superior filters. I'm not sure you really get what you pay for, but if price is no object, I don't think there is anyone who's going to say the Motorcraft filter is superior to a K&N or Mobil 1 filter.

And yes, I've verified there's no assembly string in either the K&N or the Mobil 1 filter
smile.gif

- Arved

quote:

I think you meant to say a Purolator filter... I believe those are the ones with the string, and reportedly the Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator.
I use the FL400S Motorcraft in my Jeep.

quote:

Originally posted by dkcase:

quote:

I think you meant to say a Purolator filter... I believe those are the ones with the string, and reportedly the Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator.
I use the FL400S Motorcraft in my Jeep.

Correct. The strings are on the Purolator filters. I don't see how they hurt anything either. I've cut a few Motorcraft filters apart and the string has never caused any damage to the element...

Schmoe I lost my dad to bone cancer which I'm told is one of the worst. Started in his back and I believe it was from flying bombers in the war, Lancasters mainly, as he always said after a mission he had incredible back pain. Proud silly bugger did nothing for 8 weeks after feeling pain and when finally went to the doc was to late. After seing what he went through I strongly believe in Euthenasia now as he wanted some dignity in his last weeks which was denied. Heck it's hard to write this but I know what you are going thruogh. All the best..s

I appreciate that. Dad was in Saudi during Desert Storm and we know all the "stories" behind that, up there with Agent Orange. I guess we'll never know the truth if there were military actions that had something to do with cancer. Dad had lung, brain and bone cancer. Within 6 months, it consumed him. But enough bad news but I appreciate all your replys.
I'm still schooling myself on the 5.4l. Is this one of Ford's better engines? Could I "chip" this engine? Would I get better mpg? I'm averaging 15. Today I checked the oil and it didn't burn a drop from the Nashville to Oklahoma trip, so that's good. I haven't made it the ford truck website yet, but I will and neither have I looked up UOA's, but what kind of results could I expect from the M1 5W-30? Could I comfortably, right now with no UOA's(which I will do later)? 4K with no worries? Maybe get 5K?

Schmoe;
It looks like we have something in common.
How we came to owning Fords.
My old man passed away in March of 02, 96 Taurus.
My mother thought she would have a stroke 6 months later. 95 Windstar.
Kinda' leaves a guy gazing into space for a while.
My brother moved to PA, 93 Taurus and 95 Intrepid.
My kids took all of the good stuff and I'm back driving my 77 Chev 6 cyl PU.

On topic, Mobil has some very good industrial and automotive gear oils called SHCs, I think.
I'm sure if you PM'd George the site Mobil guy he could lead you in the right direction for your application.
Myself, I lean toward CI-4/SL HDMO 10W30s as a onesizefitsall.
edit, some guys are reporting milage improvments by switching over to 75W90 diff lubes.

[ December 12, 2003, 03:16 AM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back