Not all systems are diagnosed through the OBD2 port.

Nissan did that well into the 2000's, Only the bare minimum of systems & data was assessable through the OBD2 port. Toyota's had their proprietary Diag Port under the hood of many early OBD2 vehicles though I can't recall using it very often......Flash out ABS codes IIRC.
BMW did this as well, originally you had two diag ports, one for the BMW scanner, one for OBD. Our 2000 was that way, but my M5 was all through the OBD port, but of course you needed a scanner capable of reading BMW codes to do anything remotely useful.

Nissan did that well into the 2000's, Only the bare minimum of systems & data was assessable through the OBD2 port. Toyota's had their proprietary Diag Port under the hood of many early OBD2 vehicles though I can't recall using it very often......Flash out ABS codes IIRC.
Toyota had a diagnostic port in the engine bay. Lexus models as well as the Camry/Land Cruiser had a round TDCL connector with the same pinouts as the engine mounted port but there was also a serial bus connection for a Toyota specific scan tool to read off. The port was under the dash. The scan took the dealers had was a Vetronix MasterTech 3000 with a Toyota interface.

Subaru also had the same 16-pin proprietary connector as Nissan. Coincidentally Nissan Consult/Subaru Select Monitor are both Hitachi.

CAN is the closest thing on many cars to JTAG/GPIO - hence why Mopar’s putting a security gateway on their newest cars.

a lot of hyundais have a diagnostics port in the engine bay, however our GDS couldn't make use of it. We could however acess all or nearly all modules through the EOBD port.

a lot of hyundais have a diagnostics port in the engine bay, however our GDS couldn't make use of it. We could however acess all or nearly all modules through the EOBD port.
I was wondering about that port, I have it on my 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Soul.
Have never had a need to hook up to them, just figured it was a secondary port for some reason.

Your probably using the proprietary Nissan 12 Pin connector, which was to be used with the dealer PDA/scan tool looking thing called Consult

I went through this with my Villager, given it's Quest mechanicals, and a '99 Pathfinder that was OBD2 for engine diag, ABS/SRS/TCM through Consult

Back