Not a fan of the C8, but wow I am impressed, driving through a flood

GM tried and failed.
They gave the market to Honda, Toyota and Mazda.
I agree. GM needs to stick with large V8 powered cars, which is what they do better than anyone else. The Japanese are the best at the small 4 cylinder cars.

I can’t help but wonder what in the world made that guy think it was a good decision to drive a super low to the ground expensive car through a flooded road?

I think that’s the best looking Corvette since the late 70s body style. I’m glad to see them moving forward with the design instead of trying all those stupid retro wanna be styles.

I am not a fan for the C8 simply for this reason- I wish GM would scrap the C8 and instead have put the same effort (money) into the design of a small sedan that was world class and compete with the Corolla and Civic.

GM has put out some really good cars in these classes. I'd say the 2008-2012 Malibu was the best in the class at the time.

GM has put out some really good cars in these classes. I'd say the 2008-2012 Malibu was the best in the class at the time.
DD, is that from a person living in Phoenix perspective, or a person living in Buffalo, NY perspective?

I was born to own GM cars. Where we lived everyone drove GM. Not Ford, not Chrysler, all GM. I drove GM's exclusively for the first 25 years of my life. El Camino, then a S10, then a Cavalair. Add in K2500 pickup, Astro Van, Lumina sedan and Lumina Van. As I started making more money it became a migration to Pontiac Bonnevilles and Olds Bravadas.

What I learned after 25 years of exclusively owning GM vehicles, is that GM could give a "dump" about its core/ most loyal customer. That customer is a working class customer living in the Mid West and North East. That is (maybe was) GM's most loyal customer base. Yet GM used the cheapest brake pipe and fuel line, and put that super poor quality product in the vehicles they sold to their most loyal customers. Almost all European manufacturers quite using steel as brake pipe, and updated to a copper/ nickel brake pipe. But not GM. After having the brake pipe burst on my Wife while driving her 2000 Bravada with 60k miles, that was the day I started to look for alternatives to GM.

DD, is that from a person living in Phoenix perspective, or a person living in Buffalo, NY perspective?

I was born to own GM cars. Where we lived everyone drove GM. Not Ford, not Chrysler, all GM. I drove GM's exclusively for the first 25 years of my life. El Camino, then a S10, then a Cavalair. Add in K2500 pickup, Astro Van, Lumina sedan and Lumina Van. As I started making more money it became a migration to Pontiac Bonnevilles and Olds Bravadas.

What I learned after 25 years of exclusively owning GM vehicles, is that GM could give a "dump" about its core/ most loyal customer. That customer is a working class customer living in the Mid West and North East. That is (maybe was) GM's most loyal customer base. Yet GM used the cheapest brake pipe and fuel line, and put that super poor quality product in the vehicles they sold to their most loyal customers. Almost all European manufacturers quite using steel as brake pipe, and updated to a copper/ nickel brake pipe. But not GM. After having the brake pipe burst on my Wife while driving her 2000 Bravada with 60k miles, that was the day I started to look for alternatives to GM.

Grew up in the rust belt. My mother had a 1986 Accord - the muffler rusted through in 1988.

Floods cause the most weather-related fatalities. Don't drive anything into flood water. Sports cars especially will easily float off of their wheels and get swept out of control downstream to deep water.
Unless you have a C8 Vette !

Grew up in the rust belt. My mother had a 1986 Accord - the muffler rusted through in 1988.
Muffler industry changed... but GM never changed its steel pipe brake lines, unlike most of its competition. When I was a kid, muffler shops in nearly every town. Not the case anymore.

Honda continually improves its small cars. Some small Honda cars made in the 90s are still on the road today. I can't recall the last time I saw a Cavalier on the road... Honda started out with making very marginal cars but had the desire to continually make their cars truly better.

GM caring significantly more about the Corvette than the Cavalier, Cruise, etc...... no excuse. Bob Lutz didn't get it and neither does Mary Barra. If you can't make a car for young Americans, there will come a time all your customers are dead. Just ask Harley Davidson.

In the early 1990s, exhaust systems started to shift from mild or aluminized steel to 409 stainless steel. The change in materials was needed due to higher exhaust temperatures and the demand to reduce vehicle weight. This change in materials put a lot of traditional muffler shops out of business. Today, these “lifetime” exhaust systems require different types of repair.

And for reference, here are pictures of my Wife's Bravada at 60k miles. The last picture is after I replaced all the GM junk steel brake pipe with copper nickel brake pipe. I suspect GM could have put copper nickel in the Bravada/ Blazer/ S10/ Jimmy for under $20 per vehicle.
IMG_0666.jpg
IMG_0667.jpg
IMG_0668.jpg
IMG_0671.jpg

Last edited:
The airbox and intake are up high in the rear of the mid engine, and moving constantly through the water helps keep the water level a bit lower at the rear end. It looks "hydrodynanic" as well as aerodynamic, lol.

Last edited:
Back