Nostalgia time - computer games from your youth

I've been a gamer my entire life. It started with hand-held Mattel Football. First TV console was Intellivision, then my first computer was an Apple IIe. That Apple lasted me from 8th grade until college graduation. Finally got my first PC at that point, a Packard Bell 386sx20 and that's where my best gaming experiences started: Wing Commander I and II, Ultima VII: The Black Gate, and System Shock. I was an Origin fanboy at that time because of the hit after hit they released in 4 year stretch. Today I actually have acquired and built a couple of DOS PCs to use instead of emulation. The whole experience is better on original hardware. ATM I've got a 486 DX266 with an ISA graphics card (intentional choice to run older games from 1990-1993 at appropriate speeds) and a P200MMX with fast PCI graphics. This runs the later DOS games from 1994-1997 very well. You might guess where my username came from. ;)

I've been a gamer my entire life. It started with hand-held Mattel Football. First TV console was Intellivision, then my first computer was an Apple IIe. That Apple lasted me from 8th grade until college graduation. Finally got my first PC at that point, a Packard Bell 386sx20 and that's where my best gaming experiences started: Wing Commander I and II, Ultima VII: The Black Gate, and System Shock. I was an Origin fanboy at that time because of the hit after hit they released in 4 year stretch. Today I actually have acquired and built a couple of DOS PCs to use instead of emulation. The whole experience is better on original hardware. ATM I've got a 486 DX266 with an ISA graphics card (intentional choice to run older games from 1990-1993 at appropriate speeds) and a P200MMX with fast PCI graphics. This runs the later DOS games from 1994-1997 very well. You might guess where my username came from. ;)
I've always found your username amusing for that reason, lol. You could have gone with autoexec.bat or config.sys and it would have been just as funny, lol.

I was primarily a Nintendo and Apple IIe player in my youth. Just the times I grew up in.

- Oregon Trail
- Space invaders equivalent for Apple
- Super Mario bros (3 was my favorite)
- Stealth
- Top Gun
- Base Wars
- Jackal
- Captain skyfox
- others I probably still have and don’t remember.

We had a Sega Genesis and probably some others but I outgrew it.

I do remember enjoying playing marathon on the “high end” mid-1990s Mac computers in our HS multimedia room. That was my first, and more or less my only experience with multiplayer network run games. But that was a lot of fun even though we were all shooting each other.

funny, these 'advanced'? no I must just B older (not old).
1st was in my early 20s 'out' somewhere (not in-home system). 1972? 5? @ a bar? campus center?
(About the same time wasa card swipe bank mo'chene to w/d or deposit $.)
Called "Pong" (sorta like tennis)? Hada 'paddle' one side of the screen, ball bounce offa it (use ends or hit in vertical moving direction) to play by spin of the only control a dial as flat or putona spin. Just 'chase' the ball acc the screen in 1 demention (wait till it came back). Try'n pat it back as it hit the 3 walls in increasing caroms and as speeding up w/progression of success/time on screen.

The " 'puter bank " was not seen (esp nationally) till a good decade later. Both may have been due to I was ina " test area"?

I forgot about the PS1!

Loved Spyro and Crash!
00034D7D-21DF-4094-ADA9-350F3A9C4D36.jpeg
18178762-DC88-4438-A117-35593B4C2F3D.jpg
4BBA43E7-DA52-4D03-9953-381C42BA0DAA.png

We had a Commodore 64. Spent many hours playing B.C.'s Quest For Tires, Skyfox, Raid Over Moscow, Pac-Man, and learned a lot of BASIC programming on it in my youth. A few years ago my folks were cleaning up and sent all the Commodore stuff my way. Bought a newer and safer power supply for it, and all those old floppy disk games from my youth still work. Even found that somebody had scanned all the old Compute!s Gazettes magazines and posted them online, so I typed in a few of the programs I remembered from back then since I lost the disk that had them.

We had a Commodore 64. Spent many hours playing B.C.'s Quest For Tires, Skyfox, Raid Over Moscow, Pac-Man, and learned a lot of BASIC programming on it in my youth. A few years ago my folks were cleaning up and sent all the Commodore stuff my way. Bought a newer and safer power supply for it, and all those old floppy disk games from my youth still work. Even found that somebody had scanned all the old Compute!s Gazettes magazines and posted them online, so I typed in a few of the programs I remembered from back then since I lost the disk that had them.
I had an Apple IIe in 8th grade. My buddy had a C64. We'd take turns going over to the other's house to play games. I was really impressed with the graphics and sound on it. But he had a tape drive and it was "cross your fingers for 10 minutes and hope it doesn't error out loading the game". I had dual floppies so my games loaded way faster. It was fun giving each other a hard time about our computers. :)

Back in the early 80's, the local public library had a single old Apple II-something and you could sign up for a block of time to use it. They had a small box of games on 5.25" disks and I would play one of those text games where it would describe your surroundings and you could give it basic commands on what direction to move or what objects to interact with. That was awesome back then.

I remember the first COMPUTER game I had was SIM CITY, first NINTENDO game, I don't quite remember as we were all just pirating on floppy disks back then, maybe Zelda?

The "ultimate" FPS game play/mutiplayer would be... Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising. It is a much better "BF 2" and the gameplay is fun as all get out. 120 player servers. Came out in 2004 and you can still play today online on STEAM.

Still active online today.

This game was AMAZING when it came out. I played the beta and got a new video card to play this back in 2004 (before BF2 came out). Unfortunately it feels pretty clunky now and the main reason to play it is probably nostalgia. There are actually still some die hards and nostalgics who still play this and there's always 1 server with at least 30-40 people (usually playing the vanilla game which is missing some cool stuff that was in the expansion) and some other servers with just a few players. Also the Co-op mode was really popular and had entire clans based around it

Cool things this game had many of which were ahead of its time : 75v75 multiplayer on ridiculously huge maps (much bigger than Planetside 2). There were servers with like 50+ capture points where the battle would rage for days on end on archipelagos with hundreds of islands. It had iron sights, lean, prone stances, class-based customizable loadouts, actual grass you can crawl and hide in to flank and snipe and some dense forest environments, vehicles that require 3+ people to crew, massive transport helicopters that can load light vehicles, hovercraft that can transport tank, light transport and attack helicopters, parachutes, sniper rifles with adjustable zoom and elevation, all the weapons which are now staples in games like battlefield: Assault rifles, SMGs, LMGs, Sniper rifles, sidearm pistols and shotgun, RPG, Stinger, Javelin, C4, Mortar, tank mines, frag flash and smoke grenades, claymore, underbarrel grenades, equippable knife, medkit, body armor, selectable ammo type (ap sp, fmj). There is no sprint in this game (wasn't a standard feature in fps back then), but your move speed is based on the weight of the items and ammo you equip which was neat, so you could build super fast loadouts by dropping to minimal ammo and weapons or even drop everything for a knife commando loadout.

For multi-player...Unreal Tournament '99 FTW! '04 isnt bad but the OG still wins IMHO.

Started PC gaming with my first PC in 1984. Back then it was Where In the World is Carmen Sandiego :) As I got older, moved on to Wolfenstein 3d (remember the freeware levels?), Police Quest, Star Wars: X-wing vs Tie Fighter, Doom, Quake, etc.

Never really got into the console thing other than the Atari 2600 my dad bought back in 1980. Missile Command, Space Invaders, Pac Man. The last console I owned was the original NES, with a ton of games (most of which I never beat lol)

Nowadays I have a Steam library full of all different types of games. And no time to play them.

I remember doom, duke Nukem 3D, Wolfenstein 3d when I was a kid. Amazing to see the changes in technology from the 80s-90s when I was a kid and now. Especially the last 15 years. I love technology. Just not so much built into my vehicle. My smartphone and my truck can exist together separately for two separate tasks.

DOOM
Doom 2
SKY ROADS
Screenshot_20230331-063946_Chrome.jpg

Sailor Moon DOOM (game mod)
Splash Zone!
Corridor 7 (basically DOOM! Needed DirectX9!) - quick search reveals Wolfenstein not Doom. Maybe thats why it was a yawn)
Screenshot_20230331-064310_Chrome.jpg

Asteroids
Animated cat chasing mouse around screen game

Jazz Jackrabbit
Jazz-cover.jpg

NASCAR
download (1).jpeg

Too young to really remember: Oregon Trail (Apple IIe! 5.25" floppy!)
The Sims
Scorched Earth
Ganja Farmer

NES Emulators (DNes I believe was the last one I used. This some years ago)
Genesis emulators (KGen98)

Lesser extent, never really got into:

Robocop: The Game
Wolfenstein
Hexen
Anything that came after DOOM 2 (computer/MS-DOS)
Duke Nukem (thanks @350Rocket)

One of the best games I ever played, WAY ahead of its time and better than Star Wars, perfect music, another forgotten gem: Traffic Department 2192

I was more a console gamer and that died out shortly after Playstation 2 was released.

Last edited:
Back