NOS Nuclear power plant in the Philippines may be brought to life

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
The Bataan Nuclear Power Plant, constructed between 1976 and 1985 (with post TMI upgrades), was never fuelled. There's a pretty decent Wiki on the plant:

It was built by Westinghouse and has a single Westinghouse 2-loop 621MWe PWR.

The site has been maintained and is currently in very good condition. Due to the energy crisis, the idea has been tabled to refurbish the plant and bring it online.

This thread by Mark Nelson has some great videos of the plant, in its current state:

Kepko, the Korean energy giant, has already performed a feasibility assessment on bringing the plant up to post-Fukushima standards and claims it will be around $1 billion.

Another link:

Will be quite interesting to see if they choose to go ahead with the project.

Bataan_Nuclear_Powerplant.jpg

The Bataan Nuclear Power Plant, constructed between 1976 and 1985 (with post TMI upgrades), was never fuelled. There's a pretty decent Wiki on the plant:

It was built by Westinghouse and has a single Westinghouse 2-loop 621MWe PWR.

The site has been maintained and is currently in very good condition. Due to the energy crisis, the idea has been tabled to refurbish the plant and bring it online.

This thread by Mark Nelson has some great videos of the plant, in its current state:

Kepko, the Korean energy giant, has already performed a feasibility assessment on bringing the plant up to post-Fukushima standards and claims it will be around $1 billion.

Another link:

Will be quite interesting to see if they choose to go ahead with the project.

Bataan_Nuclear_Powerplant.jpg

Small world, when I mentioned your post to my wife. She knew exactly where this plant is.
She went swimming near it a few times.
(Montemar Beach Club)

She grew up/family lives in an upscale area of Manila.
One thing for sure they can use more power over there. I was never there, though will be inevitable some day.

Last edited:
Small world, when I mentioned your post to my wife. She knew exactly where this plant is.
She went swimming near it a few times.
(Montemar Beach Club)

She grew up/family lives in an upscale area of Manila.
One thing for sure they can use more power over there. I was never there, though will be inevitable some day.

They definitely need the power there. The city keeps growing and growing.

I have made this trip countless times.

A couple three references to corruption , defects and Pinatubo in the wiki. Fire it up!
Kepco would make sure the plant was safe to start. The issue is moreso with concerns after that point unless Kepco is going to be looking after maintenance.

They definitely need the power there. The city keeps growing and growing.

I have made this trip countless times.

Very cool, did you make the video? Well done.
I know we had a discussion before about the Philippines, most likely about the incredible malls, do you know people there?
My wife grew up in Makati and went to school and graduated college at LaSalle before coming to the US.

Lots of coal fired power generation. They do have natural gas production and are about to commission three LNG import terminals.

View attachment 135898

Probably for Luzon and maybe some other larger islands. Solar is big there too but I don’t know how much it represents.

Diesel generator barges are used quite a bit on the smaller islands. There is some island connectivity via undersea cable.

Very cool, did you make the video? Well done.
I know we had a discussion before about the Philippines, most likely about the incredible malls, do you know people there?
My wife grew up in Makati and went to school and graduated college at LaSalle before coming to the US.

I have a large family there on my wife’s side. We also have a home there and will be going back this year if all works out. It’s in the southern part of the country.

Makati is a nice area of Manila.

The very abrupt start of natural gas production has the signature of a single field discovery and sure enough it is mainly one offshore field. Exploration efforts are being hampered by geopolitical issues with China.

788C52AA-7653-4FE5-9913-CFD6426F7BAB.jpg

The very abrupt start of natural gas production has the signature of a single field discovery and sure enough it is mainly one offshore field. Exploration efforts are being hampered by geopolitical issues with China.

View attachment 135915

There are other areas of the country that hold gas and oil. Getting someone to drill and take the risk is the problem.

“The Philippines is like a blind beggar sitting on a mountain of gold. Within the country’s 200-mile Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) are potential recoverable hydrocarbon deposits worth an estimated US$ 26.3 trillion. More than enough to lift the country from the centuries long morass of poverty and underdevelopment,”

if my math is correct that one single reactor nuclear plant would produce over 5400gwh yearly.

That output would replace 10% of the coal. If Philippines is serious about nuclear power, it will take more than just this one reactor. Which raises the question would money be better spent building new plants of a modern unified design?

That output would replace 10% of the coal. If Philippines is serious about nuclear power, it will take more than just this one reactor. Which raises the question would money be better spent building new plants of a modern unified design?
If it's truly only 1 billion to bring online, that's much cheaper than newer units, so it still makes sense. It's also probably the cheapest way to find out if they can responsibly operate a nuclear power program.

They should hire an impartial expert to inspect a few random welds. There have been cases even in the US of a whole plant being condemned because it wasn't welded correctly and the original inspectors were corrupt.

Back