NOS Brake Part Safety

GM has discontinued the front brake pads for my '96 Olds Ciera.
Haven't had much luck with parts store pad quality, as we all know quality is all over the place now.
I located a set being sold on ebay that are reasonably priced.
The question is are older stock parts such as this subject to deterioration of the friction material if properly stored, or is there a shelf life for such things?

Attachments

• pn 12510008.jpg
    pn 12510008.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 16
Brakes will last pretty much indefinitely stored on a shelf so you can use those with confidence.

That being said it's ebay so make sure they send you the right thing.

It seems like Akebono doesn't make pads for your car :(

The good news is that Raybestos does make the EHT pads for you, though. The EHT is getting popular on here :)

Another good choice is EBC Ultimax/Blackstuff.

I just looked it up, and the inner and outer pads are completely different shapes o_O\

Pair them with Wagner or Powerstop coated rotors.

If you ever need to do the rear brakes the drums and shoes, know that Bendix makes a pre-assembled shoe kit so you don't have to deal with the scary springs :)

It seems like Akebono doesn't make pads for your car :(

The good news is that Raybestos does make the EHT pads for you, though. The EHT is getting popular on here :)

Another good choice is EBC Ultimax/Blackstuff.

I just looked it up, and the inner and outer pads are completely different shapes o_O\

Pair them with Wagner or Powerstop coated rotors.

If you ever need to do the rear brakes the drums and shoes, know that Bendix makes a pre-assembled shoe kit so you don't have to deal with the scary springs :)
Bendix pre-assembled shoes sounds appealing. Thank you for letting me know!

Should be fine. Plenty of low mileage cars of that vintage that are on the road with the original brakes.

The question is are older stock parts such as this subject to deterioration of the friction material if properly stored, or is there a shelf life for such things?
Bought some parking brake pads many years ago and a year later, the friction fell off the backing on one pad. Why buy NOS that may have been sitting on the shelf 20 years and made with outdated materials? Is there anything special about a '96 Ciera that it wouldn't use the $10 Wagner or Raybestos pads from Rock Auto? Or even the $25 AC Delco pads?

Bought some parking brake pads many years ago and a year later, the friction fell off the backing on one pad. Why buy NOS that may have been sitting on the shelf 20 years and made with outdated materials? Is there anything special about a '96 Ciera that it wouldn't use the $10 Wagner or Raybestos pads from Rock Auto? Or even the $25 AC Delco pads?
Fair enough. My concern is fitment vs degradation. Your post highlighted exactly my initial concern.

I have had hit or miss luck tracking down obsolete parts for people. First off there is no warranty whatsoever on an obsolete part. Plus anyone that has it and knows they have it will want a ton , especially if it is something people doing restorations want. Had a guy come in yesterday looking for an oil pan gasket on a 7.5L / 460. It is obsolete from Ford and I was explaining to him that anything he got would be 10+ years old.

Back