Normal temps for Chrysler 3.3L?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what normal operating temp is for the Mopar 3.3L motor in the mini-vans?

Mine seems to be running at about 204 - sometimes down to 197, sometimes up to 209 for a few moments.

I was thinking it had a 195 thermostat in it, and if that's the case, the one in there must be sticky or something, unless running consistently at over 200 is part of the design.

Any input would be appreciated - thanks!

The thermostat isn't an on or off thing, they slowly open over a few degrees. I wouldn't worry about what you're seeing... assuming the 195 temperature is correct. Seems hot compared to what I'm used to.

Hotter than what I was used to as well. I don't guess it's hot enough to be concerned with - guess I'm just used to a thermostat that doesn't have such a wide range of operation!

Summer in Mississippi. I would expect everything to run on the warm side. Kind of like Summer in Texas.
Keep an eye on it, if you have an issue catch it early.

The thermostat temp is basically the lowest operating temp the engine will see. When it gets very hot out and there's little airflow over the radiator, the engine temp will go above the thermostat temp until the fans come on. 210 is perfectly normal in hot weather with a 195 stat. Worry when it gets to 240 and above!

Thanks, Drew and SuperDave.

Haven't seen anything over 209 yet (Scangauge hooked up) - and even that only lasts less than a minute until it's back down to 202 or so.

My 2000 GMC Savana 5.7L ran at a consistent 198 - summer or winter. Of course, that was on a 190 thermostat, now that I think on it...

exactly what drew said. Most fuel injected cars spec a 195 degree thermostat - but that is simply the temp at which the thermostat is completely open. normal temp would run from 200-210. perhaps up to 220 in some GM's, under load, or sitting in traffic. the 3.3 is a GREAT engine as far as durability.

A 195 thermostat is NOT open completely at that temperature.
It is the OPENING temp - the starting temp.
Running temp should be warmer than the thermostat rated temperature.
Modern cars use hotter running systems for better fuel efficiency. They are concerned with homeostasis of the engine parts vs. the combustion temperature.
The close they are in temp, the less loss from burned fuel, and more to power the car.

Anything below 212oF is normal for this engine.

cheers3.gif

Steve

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
It's normal. I say when it's pushing 230-240F then start worrying.
I have seen them get as high as 230oF but it's rare and usually the vehicle is stuck in stop/go traffic for hours on a hot humid day over 100oF outside.

Good eye though to asamek for being anal about temperature.

I watch my Scan-Guage like a hock, in my truck and keep an eye on fuel usage, Temperature, Battery voltage etc. I don't panic if they are a bit out of range but keep a close eye to ensure they return where they should be.

The highest I have seen my temp go was 238oF but only briefly and then return to normal because I started moving again after being stuck in traffic for extended periods of time.

My temperature usually averages 188oF - 198oF there abouts but I do a lot of highway driving with very little "in traffic" driving.

My engine is all aluminum versus the Chrysler 3.3 with Cast-Iron block so I think they run my engine a few degrees cooler.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I watch my Scan-Guage like a hock, in my truck and keep an eye on fuel usage, Temperature, Battery voltage etc. I don't panic if they are a bit out of range but keep a close eye to ensure they return where they should be.

The highest I have seen my temp go was 238oF but only briefly and then return to normal because I started moving again after being stuck in traffic for extended periods of time.

Stevie, how high did your coolant gauge's arrow go when the ScanGauge registered 238 degrees F? I'm going to guess the arrow wasn't yet in the red zone. I read somewhere that it takes a coolant temperature of 265 degrees F for a 50/50 mixture of anti-freeze and water to start boiling over, but I'm guessing you have a 60/40 mixture (more anti-freeze) being up north in Canada. I think the boil-over point for a 60/40 coolant is lower (or sooner) than a 50/50 mixture since there's less water, and water is a great heat carrier, better than the anti-freeze. (You probably know this stuff, but I mention it for my fellow newbies.)

So at the 238 F temperature your truck experienced, was the gauge's arrow about midway between its normal operating position and the red zone, or more like 3/4 way to the red zone?

Also, at what temperature on the ScanGauge did the coolant's dashboard arrow begin moving above the arrow's normal operating temperature position?

Last edited:
On my Santa Fe the Temperature Needle will sit just to the left of the middle section (Hot on right side), and will stay there anywhere from 188oF - 238oF, I think I read somewhere that it has to be over 245oF for it to move to the "H" zone with the red warning section.

It is definitely a buffered gauge that doesn't react with minute temperature swings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back