Normal coolant loss per year?

Depending on the car, about a cup or two each year is typical to lose. My Outback loses about that much, typically more in the summer than the winter. I've only topped off the E350 twice in the 15 months that I've owned it. Both times, only a few ounces.

If it is sealed and you are seeing the level drop that much within a week ,you either have a leak or the car is burning coolant.
What do you mean by sealed system? I haven't seen a car or truck made in the last 50 years with a sealed cooling system. They all have overflow tanks, and those overflow tanks all have an overflow tube, that is vented to the outside.

interestingly I was told the coolant level was low.
the overflow level was below minimum!
shame on me for not keeping an eye on it since the coolant change about 5 yeas & 20k miles ago.
It took 600ml of toyota pink long life to bring the level midway between min & max
I have no idea if this consumption is normal or not

interestingly I was told the coolant level was low.
the overflow level was below minimum!
shame on me for not keeping an eye on it since the coolant change about 5 yeas & 20k miles ago.
It took 600ml of toyota pink long life to bring the level midway between min & max
I have no idea if this consumption is normal or not
Is the recovery tank sealed or not? If sealed you should lose an unmeasurable amount of coolant even in five years. If it is NOT sealed it could be significant amount.

thanks
If by sealed you mean pressurised, then I assume it is not as the overflow only has a plastic tight fitting top (unlike the radiator's which has the built in pressure release spring).

thanks
If by sealed you mean pressurised, then I assume it is not as the overflow only has a plastic tight fitting top (unlike the radiator's which has the built in pressure release spring).
Sorry I misspoke, yes if it is a pressurized system including the recovery tank it should lost almost no coolant, if the recovery tank IS NOT pressurized you could lose quite a bit of coolant through evaporation over time.

my '06 Toyota 4.0 doesn't like the full line on the overflow tank it will puke it out undetected til about a quarter inch below the Low mark..at first was alarmed but after 4 yrs. of this it stabilizes there so I live with it..I have a small extra coolant radiator that was installed by PO, maybe that has something to do with it..use only Toyota Pink.

thanks snowflakes. So it looks 600ml over 5 years/20k miles is very little for my car. I can now sleep easier

I would not filling up to the max. In fact you would find hot engine level should not be above max anyway.

If too much coolant goes into the expansion tank, maybe the rad cap needs replacing

It's a closed, sealed system. After all, it's designed to hold pressure. There should be ZERO loss if it's in perfect condition.
This!

I'm not sure why some people believe that in such a system there should be any noticeable loss during some years.

Back