Nor'easter Orlena is upon us and love my Michelin X-ice2

This post is more of a comment than anything else but just got back dropping off wife at subway station in NYC and I95 is pretty dangerous as it should be before road crew can lay some down some salt and sand. I just drove by two cars and a SUV that were all skating on Hutchinson River Parkway that has some hilly sections if you're familiar with this highway. I have 11 year old Michelin X-ice2 tires with about 40K miles on them and they still did their job! There is nothing that will ever convince me that you'll be fine with AWD in summer tires in these rare conditions because I was in that same predicament 8 years ago too. I will continue to support Michelin until they do me wrong but be careful out there.

Attachments

• ice-x.jpg
    ice-x.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 56
  • slush.jpg
    slush.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 56
This post is more of a comment than anything else but just got back dropping off wife at subway station in NYC and I95 is pretty dangerous as it should be before road crew can lay some down some salt and sand. I just drove by two cars and a SUV that were all skating on Hutchinson River Parkway that has some hilly sections if you're familiar with this highway. I have 11 year old Michelin X-ice2 tires with about 40K miles on them and they still did their job! There is nothing that will ever convince me that you'll be fine with AWD in summer tires in these rare conditions because I was in that same predicament 8 years ago too. I will continue to support Michelin until they do me wrong but be careful out there.
Once you experience a set of good winter tires you'll become an annoyance to all those who think that all-season tires are "just fine" in the snow :)

Phew, 11 years old!

Otherwise, looks like you're good to go. Do a lot of people in NYC run snow tires? I didn't think a lot of people did because of the small amount of snow.

Phew, 11 years old!

Otherwise, looks like you're good to go. Do a lot of people in NYC run snow tires? I didn't think a lot of people did because of the small amount of snow.
Yeah, the DOT stamping says 2210 so that probably means the prior owner started using them in the winter season of 2010/2011. Best $200 bucks I’ll ever spend.

When I lived in Manhattan for 3 years, I noticed maybe ~20% of the vehicles had winter tires and I was surprised because it’s not like you can store a set of tires/wheels easily in the apt buildings here in the city and swap them out at a moments notice like you do in the suburbs.

Nice mileage on those Michelins. Sipes all the way down!
I actually drove 1 out of the 4 tires all the way through this past summer out of laziness knowing the vehicle is going to be donated soon when my normally mounted all season tire had a flat. I read some people did the same running year round with minimal issues and I concur with their observations that this X-ice version wears extremely well.

there is NO comparison with all season but winter tyres + snow-real winter tyres! AWD + 4WD do NOT stop any better than anything else with all season but winter tyres. while working construction in Pa my lowly 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg with 4 Mich dedicated smaller + thinner snow tyres on smaller diameter rims that the cheap jettas use served me well

there is NO comparison with all season but winter tyres + snow-real winter tyres! AWD + 4WD do NOT stop any better than anything else with all season but winter tyres. while working construction in Pa my lowly 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg with 4 Mich dedicated smaller + thinner snow tyres on smaller diameter rims that the cheap jettas use served me well
If anything, 4WD/AWD vehicles pack more weight=need more energy to stop=traction is crucial.

I can only get three seasons out of a set of Blizzaks.

I should probably just let them be the summer tires after the third season, but I’m leery about running them in the desert Southwest in the summertime.

I agree that there’s no substitute for a good set of snow tires. I understand that there was some kind of technological advancement in the past 20 years. The Blizzaks I get now grip every bit as well as the studded tires I used to get in the old days.

I can't believe we are at the letter O with winter storms already. I feel so out of touch without the Weather Channel.

Phew, 11 years old!

I’d say a lot of New Yorkers wouldn’t even know what snow tires are. A lot don’t own cars.

If you do have a car, you’re probably not driving it during the snow.

Too bad the X-Ice Xi3 that came after the Xi2 are not anywhere near as good. The 3s are by far the worst winter tire I have ever used, though I bought them after being impressed by the 2s on my in-laws' vehicle.

Back