"Nooks and Crannies" thin oil guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can one of you enlighten me as to what these nooks and crannies inside an engine are? I see post after post referring to these things and I guess I'm not educated enough to know what they are. They must be very small, because only a 0w-20 can even reach them even though many bearing clearances are .002 or less. In fact I've never seen them in a teardown. Where should I start looking?

I'm curious too....
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: sciphi
VVT solenoids for one. Too thick an oil and the VVT stops working.

Be more specific. Is that technically a nook or a cranny?

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Originally Posted By: sciphi
VVT solenoids for one. Too thick an oil and the VVT stops working.

Be more specific. Is that technically a nook or a cranny?

Cranny. Too big and numerous to be a nook.

I for one would never argue that its important to get oil in "nooks and crannies."

I would say that its important to keep oil flow volume high to carry away heat, flood the non-pressure lubed areas like rocker tips and rocker fulcrums in Chevy/Ford/AMC style stud-rocker designs or the pushrod tips in Mopar/Olds/Cadillac style shaft rocker engines), drench the undersides of pistons, drain back to the pan faster than the pump can drain the pan, etc.

I'm not a "thin oil guy" per se (I run 5w40 in my Jeep which is spec'd for 10w30 for example). But since film strength doesn't 100% correlate with viscosity, I don't believe that running super thick oil does any good either, and its been my experience that beyond a certain point oil consumption increases with thick oils (presumably because the oil control rings get overwhelmed). I would hazard a guess that at the kinds of pressures seen between a lifter face and a cam lobe face, or even between a bearing shell and journal on the power stroke, the difference in thickness between 20 wt and 50 wt is trivial. Its not the thickness of the oil that's making it work in that regime.

I never use that term but lower viscosity does produce better ring seal(counterintuitively) in a new engine. The oil travels in and out of the piston rings more freely and spends less time in the area allowwing cooler oil to take its place.

Something I`ve always wondered,are newer engines machined with more precision,making thinner oils more compatible per se?

Originally Posted By: daman
I have lint in my Nooks and Crannies..
shocked2.gif

Clean and rinse with ARX for the next 50,000 miles. Then repeat. Repeat again, if required. Then use the maintenance dose to keep you nooks and crannies free of buildup.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
This is going to be a very long thread...

Oh no, it's not. . .
Be nice with your almighty powers!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Something I`ve always wondered,are newer engines machined with more precision,making thinner oils more compatible per se?

With the "universal fit" GM bore and piston fitment in the "slapper" LSx engines, I'm going to say no.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back