Noobie needs oil brand suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 1997 Olds LSS with 3.8L (Non SC) with only 24,500 miles.

This car was my father's second car. That's the reason for the low miles and the year. This car was always garaged and kept in a desert climate. He also kept up on the oil changes and I have the receipts and they show he kept up on it every 3000 miles
smile.gif

Now that the car is mine I'm driving approx 225 miles a week on the freeway and approx another 75 on surface streets in normal stop and go driving. I live in So Calif so I never really run in any extreme weather.

In the other forum here I got the info I needed as far as using a larger filter but what I would like to know here is what you would suggest for oil? Brand names, tips and tricks?

smile.gif
Tia
Easto

It's really hard to suggest a oil,as everyone here has their favorites for one reason or another.

My advice would be to keep using what brand of oil your father was using in the car,unless for some reason you are not happy with it.

I like the idea of the oversize filter too. But I couldn't get it because the gasket size didn't match. Check the diameter and thickness on yours.
There are 4 oil brands I like, and 2 or 3 I don't like. Good thing because when I went to Wallmart 3 of my favorites were sold out of 10/30. Won't go there for oil on Saturday afternoon again!
Joe

It depends on what viscosity you want. I think you could get away with a 5w-30 very well, but maybe a 10w-30 would be better. Id go with the German made Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (if you can find it), mobil 1 5w-30 or 10w-30, or if you feel that the temperature and driving might require a bit more protection (and your engine runs well on it, Id say the mobil 1 0w-40. Any of these oils would let you extend the change interval out to say 6000 or 7000+ mi before changing, saving you time and in the end all, money as well.

JMH

A good weight would be 10w/30 and as to the brand is like asking who makes the best Honda- Toyota or Nissan? I personally like Valvoline dino. If Ed McMahon would call, I would use Mobil 1 and K & N filters.

quote:

Originally posted by slickracer:
Can't beat 10w30 Pennzoil for the price.

Wally's has the popular with owners's manuals 5W-30 for the same $6.77 for a 5 quart jug. I used the 10W-30 for years (25) before switching to the 5W-30. I have never had an engine problem I would trace to using Pennzoil even with as much as 180K on a little 4 banger, OK it was a 2.2 liter HO Quad 4.

Thanks guys, I knew the brand question might be a little "personal".

Easto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back