NOOB with 2001 Volvo V70 T5 could use help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barker,

With nearly 70K on the clock, I'd take the Volvo to the nearest Jiffy Lube and have the transmission fluid exchange service performed. They use Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF and run 18 quarts through for $99.

I've heard that this unit does not have a serviceable pan...and flushing is the only means of service. But I'll double check.

Mike

I'll have to check into that tranny flush... I just don't think I want to deal with doing it myself.
smile.gif

...I'll have kitty litter all over the garage floor for weeks after, no doubt...

Volvo trannys like to have their fluid flushed through the coolant lines. I just did my first tranny flush through the coolant lines on a Mitsu. It was really very easy. Actually less messy than an oil change because you don't have a filter to deal with.

You might want to go with Amsoil from Pablo. He is a Volvo guy and can give you a lot of specific advice to go with the great price on Amsoil. Even with your short trip driving Amsoil can easily go a year in your vehicle.

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
I'd take the Volvo to the nearest Jiffy Lube and have the transmission fluid exchange service performed. They use Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF and run 18 quarts through for $99.

Unless you're in SoCal

I am NOT sure that the Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF is good for these Volvo transmissions. Anyway, at $5, why not get the Volvo stuff. I think Redline D4 ATF is good, but check with Redline. This would be the best around if it is OK. Amsoil is also a good choice in ATF.

You can do several drains and refill on the transmission. This is easier than an oil change. If you drain and refill every oil change for the next three times, then every other oil change after that, you'll be in very good shape.

My Volvo turbo-five likes synthetic 5W-40 oil. I'd choose Mobil 1, ConocoPhillips76Kendall, Pennz Platinum, Amsoil, or Redline.

Good idea to drain & refill the power steering with the syn ATF. Drain, refill, run, drain, refill, run, etc., until you've used a quart.

Don't forget to flush and renew the antifreeze. I use Zerex G-05. I use a digital voltmeter. Put one probe in the cool coolant and the other on the battery negative post. If you get .1 to .3 volts DC, great. If you get more than .3 to .5 volts, the corrosion inhibitors in the antifreeze are depleted and it's time to flush and renew. The brake fluid should be flushed and renewed every 2-3 years. You need DOT4+ brake fluid. I use ATE blue one time and ATE amber the next.

Ken

Thanks again for the input... I'll at least drain and refill a few times, even if I don't do a full flush.

And I will be going with the 5-40 Synth...

quote:

I am NOT sure that the Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF is good for these Volvo transmissions. Anyway, at $5, why not get the Volvo stuff. I think Redline D4 ATF is good, but check with Redline. This would be the best around if it is OK. Amsoil is also a good choice in ATF.

I checked and they're compatible. These AW55-50SN units take a Toyota T-IV fluid, which the Multi-Vehicle fluid is compatible with. Good luck bringing your own fluid to a shop with the T-Tech machine, most shops refuse to load it due to the trouble.

Sorry to chime in late here, but on a T5, you should run a full syn every 4-5k, unless a UOA shows you otherwise. The T5 is higher up on the stress scale as the I5s go, only below the R in the pecking order. You can beat up the fluids pretty good if you drive one with gusto.

I would definitely ARX this likely neglected ATX for 1500 before taking it to a DEALER or trusted Volvo indy for a flush job. In other words, a trained mechanic. This is not something I would hand to the neighborhood quick lube joint. Alternatively, if you're a savvy DIY, you can run a basic R/R through the cooler lines as mentioned. I do not believe that your transmission needs the "special" Volvo syn fluid; if it does not, then use M1 ATF and change it every 30K. To do it right on the machine takes about a dozen quarts. I don't know about your dealers, but the ones out my way will charge up the machine with whatever you bring in.

I do think you're going to be "stuck" with a Mahle cartridge, as Mann P2s have disappeared. But Mahle is the Volvo supplier for this filter and makes a very fine product. Nick at FCP sells them by the case very reasonably.

Don't get too thick on the oil, as it can compromise turbo spool up. The 5w-40 is about as thick as I would go for your climate. Don't overlook GC 0W-30. I don't think you need RL in a T5, but that is also a great choice if you have the cash.

I'd also give it a run of Regane or Techron and stick with a good brand of premium grade fuel. Clean high octane fuel delivery is particularly desirable with the higher pressure turbos.

And once you unleash all those horses, don't forget the brake system. On a Volvo ABS system, the fluid should be flushed every two years. I suspect yours is past due for a fresh fill of ATE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back