Noob - Switched to the GC - Gold Goo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy Everyone -

Have been lurking for a few weeks and enjoying the "healthy debate" on the mystery mix we call oil. My life has now been changed, drastically, due to you guys. I come home from work and log on to the BITOG and see what is being "debated". :) Lot of knowledge on here.

I have an 05 VW Gti 1.8t, new - ~4800 miles, which I just switched to Gold GC 5-40 from Amsoil 5-40 Euro. Why did I switch? Well, that is something I would like to talk about.

I've got 8qts of Amsoil 5-40 left in the garage which I will use in my 86 Toy pickup rather than the VW because I don't want to take a chance of some VAG service robot denying a warranty claim because am not using an oil which Bernd Pischetsrieder has graced with his approval. I liked Amsoil though, and have used it, Series 2000 0-30, in other cars and turned my buds onto it. SO, has Amsoil 5-40 Euro been subjected to any tests other than those of Amsoil? I cannot find where it has which is the reason I switched. If an Amsoil representative would give me a definitive answer I would certainly appreciate it ... very much.

Observations on switching to GC. My car's engine feels different. Yeah, I know ... feel may have more to do with the burrito I had for lunch ... but the engine character has changed. I am super psycho about maintenance on my cars and am one of those who log everything ... including gas purchases, waxes ... you know, very sick with no cure in site and I pay close attention to my engines and how they feel. The engine feels, ummm, as though it has more compression. The idle is smooth ... but as though there is more happening on each combustion cycle. What I am saying may not make sense but the engine definitely feels different. This is my first experience with the GC in many years. 15+- years ago I used Castrol Syntec 5-50 in a hopped up 68 Pontiac. That stuff was smoooooth. I will grab a UOA with TBN on the GC in a couple thousand miles. As the engine is wearing in, I suspect the usual signs. Will post when I have it.

So, I may pop in every now and again and welcome your thoughts.

Regards,
James

Thanks for the post.
welcome.gif

Syntec 5w-50 is the shop oil at my BOSCH Service Center and we have seen good results with it here. GGC is likely the same as GC, maybe tweaked if sold as SM. I'd say let it run for 5000 miles, no reason not to. BTW- GC/SLX is Factory Fill in Audi 1.8ts, I imagine the VW engines get it too.

quote:

feel may have more to do with the burrito I had for lunch

I like that quote! I am glad you are skeptical of "feel". Sometimes I think these different feelings are imaginary and sometimes not. I just am not sure anyone can really detect these differences. One morning I start my car up and it sounds great. The next morning it is noisy. I am rambling. Anyway, welcome.

Yep,

That's what he means.

GC = German Castrol (Made in Germany, only in 0w-30)

BC = Belgian Castrol (Made in Belgium, only in 5w-40)

I'm not sure. GC is one of the only castrol syntec's that is a true synthetic.

Many of the castrol syntecs are group III, which are not a real synthetic but instead a highly refined dino oil. BC may be in this category, however, if it meets your car's spec, it is probably a good oil for you.

Do a UOA and see.

The 5w-40 on Germany's Castrol site is a hdro-cracked oil. BC does not meet the 503.01 VW spec that is a long-life spec so it's probably not a full syn. GC does meet this spec and is good for 8-10k whereas the BC is probably a good 5-6k oil.

I see. Thanks for the info. I hate that as I would prefer a full syn. Can any of the Amsoil sponsors on here tell me if their 5-40 has been actually tested against the VAG spec?

quote:

Originally posted by q2bruiser:
I can get the 0-30 but VAG specifies 5-40 for my car.

Are you sure?

Normally VW simply specifies a VW oil standard for its engines, such as VW 502.00 , VW 503.01 , VW 504.00 etc. The viscosity is not usually specified (but it may be mentioned) on this side of the pond.
Although, viscosity must be a factor in determining if an oil meets a particular VW specification?

I just got off the phone with the VAG Customer Care and they said as long as a customer can provide proof of purchase and maintenance records there should be no problem if I used AMSOIL or GC. With that information, which would be a better fit for Colorado ... the GC 0-30 or AMSOIL 5-40 Euro?

Good point. I too am a skeptic. I've never used M1 0-40. Gotta do a little research on it.

This is a great site is it not?

The 0/5w-40 is going shear to a 30w so just go with the shear stable GC and your good. It's a better oil for the same price. It has the vw specs your car requires and is sold behind the parts counter at your VW/Audi dealer.

Yesterday I went to the dealer I purchased the car from and they said as long as I have records I will be fine. I think I will try GC next change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back