nonhonda ATF in a Z1 auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
As most know around here, I've been using Amsoil's ATF for more than 50k in my 2001 Civic. It feels just as good as the day it came off the lot. It's due to be changed. The key in my personal opinion is to actually do the 3 drain-fill-drive-drain-fills as listed in the manual, Z1 or otherwise. If it shifts differently with another fluid, get it out of there and go back to Z1 and see if it evens out. If I was still on Z1, I would change it fully every 30k. Forget the manual on that aspect.

Hah, I've never had a smooth shift feel in my 2002 CR-V. I just switched over to maxlife about a month or so ago and not one bit of difference at all.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by outersquare:

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
That's generally what a shift kit will do. I tell you, this Z1 topic just keeps coming and coming. I still wouldn't replace Z1 with anything unless Honda officially blesses it.

I will say one thing about this, the factory doesn't always know best for one person's specific needs.

Quick example, on my accord, the stock brake pads are known to leave deposits and thus cause shuddering during braking. Twice i tried OE pads and this problem kept returning. I tried hawk pads and the problem is gone.

Which Hawk pads exactly? I'm tired of cleaning the rims on both our 02 and 06 Accords. Those break pads leave a LOT of deposits on the rims.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by outersquare:

quote:

That's generally what a shift kit will do. I tell you, this Z1 topic just keeps coming and coming. I still wouldn't replace Z1 with anything unless Honda officially blesses it.

I will say one thing about this, the factory doesn't always know best for one person's specific needs.

Quick example, on my accord, the stock brake pads are known to leave deposits and thus cause shuddering during braking. Twice i tried OE pads and this problem kept returning. I tried hawk pads and the problem is gone.

Which Hawk pads exactly? I'm tired of cleaning the rims on both our 02 and 06 Accords. Those break pads leave a LOT of deposits on the rims.

whatever tirerack.com sells, i believe hawk hps, i bought brembo blanks at the same time. It still dusts, but that wasn't my primary concern. The pads got rid of the shuddering and rotor deposits.

I did one drain and about 4 qts. came out...

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:

quote:

I just switched over to maxlife about a month or so ago and not one bit of difference at all.

BrianWC,
Do you have (50% Maxlife/50% Z1 ATF) in your Honda.....or 100% Maxlife ??
dunno.gif

I bought a case of ATF Z1 for $3.60 per quart (mail order) if anybody wants SUPER cheap Z1 ATF, I will post the link.
smile.gif

My local Honda parts dept just returned to business recently since Katrina. I went to get a few qts of Z1 for my next change, but asked for the price first. Without hesitation, he said $7.15/qt.

Since I had bought a few quarts from them before the storm, I questioned the increase from $3.96 pre-Katrina to the price he quoted. In the blink of an eye, he said he would honor the pre-storm price. I bought 5qts, I probably should have bought more, who knows how long they will continue to do this.

They must get this stuff for a buck a quart or less, he didn't even hesitate to lower the price when I started to back away from the counter. That, plus the fact that I knew what their everyday price use to be, got me a heavy discount.

But, I wish they didn't play these games. I wonder how many owners they stiff in a day.

I guess I'll start to look online, I hate game playing when all I want is a maintenace item. I can understand a profitable mark-up, but sheesh...

[ July 05, 2006, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: mike1qaz ]

quote:

I just switched over to maxlife about a month or so ago and not one bit of difference at all.

BrianWC,
Do you have (50% Maxlife/50% Z1 ATF) in your Honda.....or 100% Maxlife ??
dunno.gif

I bought a case of ATF Z1 for $3.60 per quart (mail order) if anybody wants SUPER cheap Z1 ATF, I will post the link.
smile.gif

I tried a drain and fill of M1 ATF on the accord, changes 3 quarts out of 7 total, and it does seem to make shifts firmer. If anyone has driven an old school honda, like 3rd or 4th gen accord, it now has a similar shift feel instead of the imperceptible one.

I have an IR thermometer and there is no difference in transmission temperature.

I contacted comptech about the redline ATF, a dexron III fluid, for their cars and they mention it's worth a 25 degree reduction in temp on their supercharged cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back