non-refractory refrigerant type oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnewton3

Staff member
Sheeshhhh .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbXl0XVwR6Y

It's not synthetic; it's not all "real oil".
It's a bird; it's a plane; it's "SuperOil"!

"Your bike will actually run hotter on a pure synthetic oil ..."
It's the Goldie Locks of lubes. Real oil is too cold. Synthetics are too hot. This one's JUST RIGHT!

The only thing worse than this drivel is the folks that lap it up.

Last edited:
Apparently neither one of them knows about oil. I would think thermodynamics would dictate that the oil cools once removed from a heat source. He should invent refractory coffee so it's always hot.

Last edited:
An example of what Richard Feynman would call "cargo cult science". I appreciate the scientific integrity of David Newton!

Yeah. . .I saw this even before I bought my Vic. While this video is not exactly grounded in reality, the Vics utilize engine oil a little differently than many air / oil cooled bikes. The engine oil in the Vic is employed more as an active cooling agent than some others. It has a very efficient oil cooler. . . more of an "oil radiator" and the oil is circulated under relatively high pressure compared to other makes. The BMW oilhead R-model bikes employ a similar philosophy.

All that being said, I doubt it makes any difference what oil is used as long as it meets spec, but in my experience the Vic oil is very good (I've done a UOA)and is priced reasonably compared to other M/C oils. The guy in the video went too far in his recommendations and definitely "jumped the shark". . . .

My Triumph apparently has two oil pumps. A primary for lubrication and a secondary one for controlling the heat and putting it through the oil cooler.

Originally Posted By: Robster
... The guy in the video went too far in his recommendations and definitely "jumped the shark". . . .

Made me chuckle; hadn't heard that reference in quite some time. Perfect example of a good thing that outlived its usefulness.

PM sent.

Just watched the video, pretty [censored] funny. How is victory's cooling system any different then Suzuki's SACS which has been around since the mid 80's? I'd better call my bro and tell him he needs to dump the M1 he's got in his Bandit 1200 before it blows up..

The fact that the guy is an authorized service rep is scary and just one of the many reasons I don't put much stock in what is said by people with a financial interest in selling me a specific product.

Good find DN3.

It's different than "some" bikes in that it has a high-pressure, high volume oil cooling system with a decent oil cooler, with different oil circuits for lubrication. Comparable v-twins have low-pressure, high-volume system without oil coolers. It's not the only bike designed like that and it may well be similar to other engine designs. My BMW had a similar cooling scheme.

I think we all agree that some dealers will say anything to make a point, even if it's laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back