Non Detergent

I have a 56 chevy with a 283 in it. Ive used non detergent oil straight 30 for many years but can't seem to find any replacement anymore. Any suggestions would help greatly. Thanks.

NAPA, Tractor Supply, Runnings, etc. all carry ND30.

Not sure why you would want to run that though. You've run it for years and may not be able to, but I would pull a valve cover and see if it's clean enough to run a modern oil.

I have a 56 chevy with a 283 in it. Ive used non detergent oil straight 30 for many years but can't seem to find any replacement anymore. Any suggestions would help greatly. Thanks.
Not much protection being offed by ND oil. I would use a 10w-40 oil in your Chevy.

Why not run a detergent oil and start out with short change intervals? The oil is bound to get pretty dirty pretty quickly so you can't over do it.

1956 isn't that long ago. It's not like this car is from the 1920s or 1930s.

If I were lucky enough to own a 1956 chevy with a 283 CI engine I'd be using a 10W-30 conventional detergent motor oil in it - but being careful.

I agree with others here. I'd run a detergent oil with higher ZDDP. Rotella T4 15w-40 would be a good choice off the shelf for pretty cheap.

In the past ND oil was oil that had antiwear addaitives but no detergent. The ND oil sold today had zero antiwear addaitives. You are not doing the 283 any favors by running that oil.

The 283 should have a filter. The Fram # was CH 200pl and it went inside a can that bolted to the block with a long bolt.

That's OP right now.

troll-face-minimalism-memes-troll-wallpaper.jpg

Back