Nomad life - 5k vs. 10k OCI cost/longevity evaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Unless that 2.5L in his RAV suffers an unforeseen catastrophic failure that no brand or weight of oil would prevent it will easily run 200k miles on most anything with reasonable OCIs.

Can't imagine living out of a RAV4 long term. Did you sell all your earthly possessions or put stuff in storage or ? Interesting story.

The 2AR-FXE2AR-FXE based off the regular RAV4/Camry engine has been reliable through the years without major floor. Here's to hoping!

I was married a time ago with a nice house and 2 car garage (miss that garage), but since the divorce I have been downsizing ever since and planning to exit the rat race.
smile.gif
I am now in a 450 sq studio, and after some selling on EBAY and a coat of paint, it will go for sale. Then full-timing in my RAV4 Hybrid touring North America. No stuff in storage, but maybe a bin or two at my Brother's house. If the lifestyle does not suit me, it's off to INTL destinations with a backpack. Haha.

Originally Posted by Deontologist
Just run an Amsoil Ea cartridge filter (rated for 15,000 miles) and install a Fumoto valve. You can drain the oil every 5k, 10k, whatever you wish...

I'd personally run an Amsoil Ea cartridge filter for 15-20k miles and change oil on a loose schedule of 7-10k miles, depending on factors such as weather, parking, etc. If it's 110 degrees in July, I'm not lying down on asphalt to change the oil even if it has 8k on it. I'm waiting until next week when it's cooler because 8.1k miles and 8.3k miles won't make a difference, as any synthetic should hold up in a RAV4, especially with outstanding filtration from the Amsoil filter.

I like the strategy of using a filter for a longer time, and although I am a fan of the Amsoil filters, I believe that Fram now has an Ultra for this application.

The Fram is rated for 20,000 miles, has just as good filtration as the Amsoil and is less expensive to boot.

Sure, the Fram is rated 20k, but it is plastic. Plastic end caps I believe. I'd rather run with the Amsoil, which is all metal.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Just run an Amsoil Ea cartridge filter (rated for 15,000 miles) and install a Fumoto valve. You can drain the oil every 5k, 10k, whatever you wish...

I'd personally run an Amsoil Ea cartridge filter for 15-20k miles and change oil on a loose schedule of 7-10k miles, depending on factors such as weather, parking, etc. If it's 110 degrees in July, I'm not lying down on asphalt to change the oil even if it has 8k on it. I'm waiting until next week when it's cooler because 8.1k miles and 8.3k miles won't make a difference, as any synthetic should hold up in a RAV4, especially with outstanding filtration from the Amsoil filter.

I like the strategy of using a filter for a longer time, and although I am a fan of the Amsoil filters, I believe that Fram now has an Ultra for this application.

The Fram is rated for 20,000 miles, has just as good filtration as the Amsoil and is less expensive to boot.

I admittedly have not read up on high end filters, but are there independent lab testing results out there to read up on their abilities?

Sure, the Fram is rated 20k, but it is plastic. Plastic end caps I believe. I'd rather run with the Amsoil, which is all metal.

I can see your point and agree the Amsoil units are constructed extremely well. I have a 6-pack for my 4Runner. Suggested the Fram since it sounded like OP is going for more of a budget approach.

Originally Posted by Bster13

I admittedly have not read up on high end filters, but are there independent lab testing results out there to read up on their abilities?

Not sure....all we can go on is what the manufacturers put out as filtration efficiency and their claims of durability. I've run an Amsoil canister for 20k with no problems (but not cut open either). Until recently there's been no Fram for the 4Runner, and I've got a supply of Amsoils for the Liberty also.

I don't think there's even been a conclusive test of an Amsoil or other high-end oil filter's filtering ability, but judging from the solid, solid construction of the Amsoil cartridge filters, I wouldn't hesitate to leave it in a car for 20k miles or even 25k miles. Especially if it's a hybrid that isn't actually running the engine all the time. The endcaps are metal and the core is metal and there's basically no way for the media to completely collapse, and the media is synthetic (microglass) so it isn't going to start decomposing like, say, cellulose in the presence of water and heat over time.

The Hybrid can run the A/C for periods of time without the engine running. For a while, I was considering living out my car too, but I only had a 2010 Corolla, and I was in NY and winter was rapidly approaching. I'd have to leave the engine running the entire time. The plan was to fold down the rear seats and to stick a 3 or 4" gel pad into the trunk and sleep like that. I had the choice between that 2010 Corolla and a 2011 Prius, but the Prius apparently had some battery issues that later turned out to be nothing!

I still remember changing the dang oil on that Corolla in the lot of some shopping plaza. I may or may not have caused an Exxon Valdez-type incident in the lot. Looking back, if I had to do it all over again, I'd have slapped an Amsoil filter or Fram Ultra in the Corolla and not have bothered with changing the filter for 15,000 to 20,000 miles. If I could, I would have also got the Prius over the Corolla...it'd be a lot easier sleeping in the back of a Prius than a Corolla. And I wouldn't have to worry about leaving the engine running all night. My worst fear would be, say, a coolant hose leaking and the engine completely overheating before I woke up to shut down the car. A Prius would just keep the A/C compressor running off the battery for the majority of the time, so the engine can rest.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Your concerned about oil? How are going to stay warm in the winter? Personal Hygiene??

I follow the good weather mostly and if I need to tweak for warmth or cooling, I can use the hybrid battery to run full climate control. As for hygiene, being bald helps, also I have a Planet Fitness Black Card allowing me to go to any one in the country.

Hello everyone,

I'm preparing to sell my place and live full time on the road with my 2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid requiring ILSAC GF-5 0w-20. The manual states to 5k OCI for severe duty and 10k OCI for regular use.

I hypermile in the vehicle averaging 40+ MPG, so I'm very easy on the car. But when I retire I may find myself on dirt/forest roads a bit looking for some quiet campsites and nature. Also, I will be idling the car once in awhile when stuck in hot weather during my nomadic travels. Overall I aim to stay in 70-80F temps, but when needed for sleeping, the air conditioning runs off electricity generated by the big, hybrid battery. Once the battery is drained, the engine kicked on for 5-10 minutes per hour to recharge the battery then shuts off and the start the cycle again while I sleep.

So...when considering maintenance costs and longevity, what is my best bet?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PRlWUdS29tOFYfyq34h7NgCi3-AIDW8PLnh42mYm9QE/edit?usp=sharing

Doing 5k OCI with SuperTech syn. oil and filter certainly looks to be cheaper (I def. want to do it myself, not pay someone to do the oil change on the road), but would a twin to my RAV4, going with 10k OCIs and high-end oil/filter last longer in your opinion?

When I was expediting, I used Royal Purple HPS 5W30 in a Chevy Express 2500HD 6L @ 12-14K intervals with no issues (1 OCI/month). I idled heavily when sleeping in various temps and the engine purred at 296k when the van was totaled. When I did head gaskets @ 240k'ish, the engine was spotless, while the cylinders still showed factory hatching. When I brought the heads in to be spec'd, he asked me if I was f'ing with him about what they came off of because they spec'd perfectly. He stated he could clean them and sell them as brand new heads. Truly an amazing oil imo. They boast about their Synerlec additive, and I feel it is well deserved. This was the only oil I averaged 18.4 mpg while hauling 2763# and a curb of 5600# through the Appalachians.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Your concerned about oil? How are going to stay warm in the winter? Personal Hygiene??

Idle in the winter and truck stops for showers. If you have a rewards card from Pilot/Flying J, every 50 Gals of fuel provides 1 free shower credit. Otherwise it is $10-12 for a shower. You can also use the showers at gyms with membership or stay at a national/state park for a night to use their showers. If all else fails, the Equate disposable pre-moistened wash clothes from Walmart work well for a freshening.
cheers3.gif

I have put some 1.5 million miles or more doing 10K OCIs with M1 oils in the last 41 years with 0 issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back