Nomad life - 5k vs. 10k OCI cost/longevity evaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I'm preparing to sell my place and live full time on the road with my 2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid requiring ILSAC GF-5 0w-20. The manual states to 5k OCI for severe duty and 10k OCI for regular use.

I hypermile in the vehicle averaging 40+ MPG, so I'm very easy on the car. But when I retire I may find myself on dirt/forest roads a bit looking for some quiet campsites and nature. Also, I will be idling the car once in awhile when stuck in hot weather during my nomadic travels. Overall I aim to stay in 70-80F temps, but when needed for sleeping, the air conditioning runs off electricity generated by the big, hybrid battery. Once the battery is drained, the engine kicked on for 5-10 minutes per hour to recharge the battery then shuts off and the start the cycle again while I sleep.

So...when considering maintenance costs and longevity, what is my best bet?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PRlWUdS29tOFYfyq34h7NgCi3-AIDW8PLnh42mYm9QE/edit?usp=sharing

Doing 5k OCI with SuperTech syn. oil and filter certainly looks to be cheaper (I def. want to do it myself, not pay someone to do the oil change on the road), but would a twin to my RAV4, going with 10k OCIs and high-end oil/filter last longer in your opinion?

Last edited:
5k. Enjoy the adventure.
You will,get better long term cleanliness less deposits regardless of service.

Last edited:
Well, I hadn't consider 15k OCI given the possibility of dirt roads and cycling/idling the engine occasionally for A/C.

I added a 15k OCI to the calculations, and going with 15k OCI with the high-end mobile extended oil and filter is certainly cheaper, but I'm unsure what my UOAs would look like and I'm not willing to pay, nor figure out how to receive the packaging to ship off oil while on the road. Is the extended Mobile 1 Syn (or competitor) really that good? Tons of Blackstone UOAs coming back with flying colors at 15k OCIs? Just as good wear indicators as going with Supertech 5k OCIs?

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
5k. Enjoy the adventure.
You will,get better long term cleanliness less deposits regardless of service.

Ok, so you believe the 5k Super Tech OCIs would be cheaper and have my engine lasting longer, correct?

Originally Posted by ecotourist
If it were mine, I'd be using dino SN 5W-20 at 5,000 mile intervals. I doubt if "high-end" synthetic at 10,000 mile intervals would be any better.

If the manual recommends 0W-20 oil, that probably means you'll have to use synthetic. So Supertec synthetic at 5,000 mile OCI sounds like a reasonable enough plan.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
If it were mine, I'd be using dino SN 5W-20 at 5,000 mile intervals. I doubt if "high-end" synthetic at 10,000 mile intervals would be any better.

I am trending towards the extreme end of the cheap Synthetics (Super Tech in this case) being changed more often with a new (cheap) filter > high end, longer OCI, but I'm not sure and that's why I'm here.
smile.gif

But why would you go to a dino oil that is not the correct weight (I understand there aren't many if any conventional ow-20)? For further cost savings? Granted my engine is not forced induction and I'm easy on it, but I'm reluctant to stray to a different viscosity and conventional to save a few more bucks. I'll def. be on a tight budget in retirement, but I'm not sure I'm willing to go there.

Yes, Since you are using the vehicle as a shelter and transportation I would use the extra layer of protection of the severe service schedule.
I believe your engine will be cleaner with the 5 k changes.
Many oil change recommendations and oil life monitors are on the optimistic side. Since your duty cycles and surfaces are not normal I would not follow a normal OCI even though you are a gentle driver.
Plus performing the service gives you and opportunity to go over your vehicle more frequently and identify any services or repairs needed before they become an issue.

With so many starts and idling I wouldn't skimp on oil. I would use a name brand like Mobil1 and go by hours not miles. If it doesn't have hour meter then you can get them cheap.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tiger862
If it doesn't have hour meter then you can get them cheap.

Do any cars/suvs have an hour meter? I was surprised this Titan has one, nothing else I've ever owned has had one as standard equipment.

Keep doing what youre doing, 5k. However since youll be on the road, using a quickie lube with a decent brand name would also work for a 5k interval and itll probably be easier. Worst case, supply your own parts and pay the $20 in labor and disposal.

Originally Posted by tiger862
With so many starts and idling I wouldn't skimp on oil. I would use a name brand like Mobil1 and go by hours not miles. If it doesn't have hour meter then you can get them cheap.

I am hoping to minimize running the A/C overnight while I sleep by following the moderate weather, but of course I will get caught every once in awhile. I'll also have solar and a lithium battery to run fans and other small electrical items. As for the other starts.... the nature of a hybrid engine. I've always wondered how hard all those starts are on an engine vs. a regular RAV4. Though a lot of the starts are on a warm engine, they still are starts.... hrmmm... are you saying you'd going to a 5k OCI ~and~ high end oil?

Originally Posted by Bster13
But why would you go to a dino oil that is not the correct weight (I understand there aren't many if any conventional ow-20)? For further cost savings? Granted my engine is not forced induction and I'm easy on it, but I'm reluctant to stray to a different viscosity and conventional to save a few more bucks. I'll def. be on a tight budget in retirement, but I'm not sure I'm willing to go there.

If the manual recommends a synthetic 0W-20 that's what I'd go with. I'd be most concerned about fuel or water accumulation in the oil with all that stopping and starting. That's why I'd go with the shorter (severe service) mileage interval. If you can get a high-end synthetic on sale (and you often can) that might be even better. But I'd stick with the severe service interval given how you intend to use the vehicle.

If I'm reading your spreadsheet correct, the cost difference between DIY 5K and DIY 10K is not significant enough to even be a factor (<$60). The decision then becomes convenience (fewer changes) vs. best for your car. Bryanccfshr and others explain it well and I would do the DIY 5K option.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
If I'm reading your spreadsheet correct, the cost difference between DIY 5K and DIY 10K is not significant enough to even be a factor (div>

Yes the 5k intervals are cheaper over the lifetime of the vehicle and the forum is trending towards the 5k OCIs and the cheap stuff....I don't mind the labor, I'll be retired after and will have more time on my hands.
smile.gif

Oil changes aren't exactly easy peasy with the cartridge filter and the special wrench needed and the ground clearance. I change oil in our RAV and it's lots easier even up 3 inches. Do you want to deal with it and a drain pan and oil disposal with your minimalist lifestyle out in the woods or in a parking lot somewhere? I wouldn't.

5K OCIs at Toyota dealers or reputable oil change places would simplify your life. And there are no dino 0W-20s.

Originally Posted by Bster13
Hello everyone,

I'm preparing to sell my place and live full time on the road with my 2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid requiring ILSAC GF-5 0w-20. The manual states to 5k OCI for severe duty and 10k OCI for regular use.

I hypermile in the vehicle averaging 40+ MPG, so I'm very easy on the car. But when I retire I may find myself on dirt/forest roads a bit looking for some quiet campsites and nature. Also, I will be idling the car once in awhile when stuck in hot weather during my nomadic travels. Overall I aim to stay in 70-80F temps, but when needed for sleeping, the air conditioning runs off electricity generated by the big, hybrid battery. Once the battery is drained, the engine kicked on for 5-10 minutes per hour to recharge the battery then shuts off and the start the cycle again while I sleep.

So...when considering maintenance costs and longevity, what is my best bet?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PRlWUdS29tOFYfyq34h7NgCi3-AIDW8PLnh42mYm9QE/edit?usp=sharing

Doing 5k OCI with SuperTech syn. oil and filter certainly looks to be cheaper (I def. want to do it myself, not pay someone to do the oil change on the road), but would a twin to my RAV4, going with 10k OCIs and high-end oil/filter last longer in your opinion?

Your story reads like you will be camping, living out of your vehicle?

You ask about SuperTech Syn oil and filter (which you will have to go to walmart and buy).. then you want to change it yourself? Why not just get it changed at Walmart? Are you going to do your own tire rotations also?

I cant imagine toting around Ramps, Tools, Pans, Funnels etc. doing oil changes on forest roads and storing everything for another 10K miles.

Originally Posted by TiGeo
Why not ST at 10K intervals?

Heresy!
lol.gif

Agreed...at least 7500 since nomadic will be a lot of highway miles driven.

Take it a step further, and go with Amsoil for a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back