Nokian WRGR4

Anyone have any experience with Nokian WRGR4? Considering getting them for my Subaru Legacy as they appear to be reasonably priced all weather tire.

Just not sure about noise, fuel mileage impact, and longevity.

We've gt them on the S60. They're quiet and work well in the snow. They are all weather tires, and not dedicated snow tires. But they are leaps and bounds better than the Continental tires they replaced. Can't really comment on the longevity, she doesn't pile the miles on very fast. The WRG2 and WRG3s I had on the S70 we used to own lasted 40k-ish.

I will by the WRG4s again. I like them.

Nokian garbage will never go on my vehicle again. I gave them chance three times thinking they got their at together, but nope.
While new they are fine, but decline in performance from new to absolutely abysmal makes them serious competitor in that "discipline."

I had the WRG4 tires on my 2018 Outback for 80,000 miles and probably could have gotten at least an additional 5,000-10,000 miles on them if I wanted to push it. They are absolutely phenomenal in Winter driving and well above average in all other conditions. They are the next best thing to a dedicated snow tire for snow driving.

Buyer beware though, these tires are noisy at highway speeds. About 50 mph there is a very pronounced droning noise that does not go away, in fact it only gets worse as the speed increases.

I'm shopping right now for new tires for my 21 Outback and while I'm a huge fan of the Nokian brand I will not consider the WRG4 tires this time because of how noisy they are. I will probably go with the General Altimax 365 if I go with another all weather tire.

Did some shopping today and based on price, prior General tires experience, and the $70 rebate I am probably going to go with the Altimax 365 AW too.

However the deal at Costco for the Cross Climates is very tempting.

Did some shopping today and based on price, prior General tires experience, and the $70 rebate I am probably going to go with the Altimax 365 AW too.

However the deal at Costco for the Cross Climates is very tempting.

I have thought about the CC tires as well and while everything about them seems great, the guys that work in my shop don't like them in particular because of wear they've become accustomed to seeing on that tire and the opinion but they become noisier as they wear down. I've been very tempted to buy that tire but I'm a little worried that I might end up being disappointed especially considering the extra cost associated with purchasing a set.

Had the WRG2 SUV on a 2013 outback was my favorite tire on that vehicle.
They lasted only 37000 miles though.(mostly highway).
Still had good traction under 4/32 on light snow.

I would make a list of 3-4 you are interested in.. price them out and then decide.

On my list not in order of preference would be:

Michelin Crossclimate 2
Nokian WRG4
Firestone Weathergrip
General altimax 365 AW
Vredestein quatrac pro
Goodyear Weatherready
Toyo Celcius
Hankook Kinergy 4s2

Personally in conn I would use winter tires on separate wheels.
but failing that I would pick the most wintery of the above choices that meet your performance requirements for the rest of the year.

Last edited:
Back