nokian wr-suv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with these tires? I am in the market for new tires for my Rodeo (99 4x4) and these came highly recommended. I hear they are great in the snow/rain/ice/slush. Is this the case?

Just looking for some opinions because there are so many tires out there.

I love the WR passenger tire and was considering the WR-SUV for my truck instead of dedicated winter tires. I talked to the manager at the Tire Factory who sells a ton of Nokian tires and he told me that the Nokian Vatiiva truck tire is almost as good in snow, and that he prefers it for trucks and SUV's over the WR-SUV. If you have ever looked at one up close, it has got to come close to meeting the severe weather endorsment--just passing on what was recomended to me.

I was also looking at the Vatiiva and I actually like the looks better, but what is selling me on the WR-SUV, is the severe weather rating. I really like that. I still have a few hours to decide, but I am still leaning towards the WR-SUV.

WR is awesome. There have actually been quite a few recommendations for it on this forum if you want to search the archives.

My GF has been driving on them in Wisconsin for 2 years now. I also got to drive on them in the snow - they're very good. Don't expect miracles on ice though - for that you need studs.

yea, no miracles expected. I always drive slower and safe in the snow. A little extra insurance will be nice though. I've been reading reviews and I like what I've read.

Just got the WR-SUV's installed with an allignment. Just under $700. That's a lot of green, but the way I see it is I could have went cheaper and saved $100-$150. But I would not have gotten a "quality" tire and been disappointed with the purchase. Now, I want some snow.

You will love them. I think Nokian recommends 5-6K rotations, I have stuck with that with my WR's and they are wearing excellent. One thing I will warn you about, as these tires wear past their half-life the dry pavement noise increases a fair amount, but I think that is fairly common with directional tires. The noise isn't terrible, but it there is an increase.

I have the WR's predecessor, the Nokian NRW's, on my Subaru (they don't make the WR in 185-70R14
frown.gif
). They kick some serious bum when the going gets tough & slippery. I have never been happier with a set of all-seasons. Treadwear on the NRWs seems to be very good so far.

I use their RSI snows on my wife's Saab and they made 6" of fresh snow feel like dry pavement. In fact, Nokian seems to get glowing reviews on all of their tires...

I have had them on for a few days and already I like them. We've had a lot of rain here over the week-end, and they grip in the water much better than my last set of tires. I can't wait for the snow.

My dealer told me about the rotation schedule and I will follow that.

I also noticed that Nokian gets great reviews for all their tires. So far, I am pleased with the purchase. Really, the only downfall of the tire for me is the looks. Wasn't a big enough deal to pass on them. I would've like an AT or MT, but couldn't justify the added expense for a good one. These weren't cheap, but I think they were a great deal considering how good they are.

Glad your happy. I am a huge fan of the Nokian WR. I learned about them first with its predecessor the Nokian NRW and have had them on all our cars for over 9 years. I recommend them to everyone in our area where you get everything as far as weather. My favorite thing is they don't give up in the wet/dry like most dedicated winter tires.

The rotation schedule at least with WR's is important. Otherwise they get "chewed" up as the tire shop worker said.

I've used the WR's on my cars for a number of years now and have been quite happy with the performance. I commute 110 miles a day and would go through a set of dedicated snows each season unless it really snowed alot. I got better than 50,000 miles per set of WR's on my 2002 Jetta TDI and I just picked up a set for my 05 Mercedes CDI. The price has gone up substantially on these tires over the past couple of years though.

I just got back from doing the family thing for Thanksgiving. Of course it is snowing hard out, the first real snow of the year. I had an hour plus drive each way. Most of it was on snow covered roads. I didn't even puch the 4x4 button, I used 2wd the whole time. These tires rock. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back