Nokian produces its first test tire in US

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/734829/nokian-tyres-produces-first-test-tire-in-u-s-factory
Nokian Tyres plc reports its North American production facility in Dayton, Tenn., remains on schedule to begin producing tires for commercial use in early 2020.

The company has produced the first test tire, a Nokian eNtyre 2.0 in size 205/55R16, and has begun trial production.

The Dayton factory will serve as a catalyst for Nokian Tyres' growth strategy in North America as the company aims to double sales in the region by 2023.

The first tire milestone is significant for our production team, our employees throughout North America and our team around the globe," says Nokian Tyres' Senior Vice President Mark Earl, who oversees the company's North American operations. "We're happy to share this news with our customers, who will benefit from the expanded product range and enhanced service the factory will enable us to offer."

Between now and the end of the year, Nokian Tyres will produce thousands more tires for testing and machine calibration purposes. Annual capacity at the factory will be 4 million tires in 2023, with further expansion potential, the company notes.

The facility, an investment of $360 million, will allow the company to make premium products tailored to the needs of North American consumers, expand its customer base, and strengthen its relationships with existing customers.

Now that trial production is underway, Nokian Tyres will soon turn its attention to growing its team at the factory, notes the company. It currently employs approximately 70 team members and will employ approximately 400 people at the factory once capacity reaches 4 million tires.

The factory's production team recently returned home from an intensive six-week training experience at Nokian Tyres' other factories in Russia and Finland. The training trip immersed employees in the company's production processes and introduced them to its life-driven culture.

"We aren't just focused on building premium products; we also want to offer a premium experience for members of our team," Dayton Factory Operations Director Peter Chia says. "Simply put: We want to be the employer of choice in Southeast Tennessee."

I live down the street from their Illinois warehouse
smile.gif

Too bad, none of the tires I'll be buying in the near future will come from the new plant.

THis winter: WR G3 SUV
Next spring: Entyre C/S

Good. Maybe the quality will improve. WRG3 SUV. Worst tires I've ever owned. The [censored] Toyo A36's that come stock on my current CX5 are better.

They went to other two factories to learn. I suspect quality will be similar.

What were your problems with WRG3 SUV?

KrzyÅ›

Very pleased to see Nokian expand in the US. They make great tires. I've bought several sets of 4 over the years and have always been happy with them.

Their Hakkapelliitta snow tires were simply awesome in Vermont. The WRG3 SUV on my Tundra (275/55R20) have been really good tires. Quiet. Good handling. Long wearing. Outstanding traction in snow/ice (Vermont, again) and good traction on dry pavement.

I know other BITOGers have had a different experience/assessment. I can't explain that. I've had great experiences with Nokian.

Perhaps it's a QC issue from the Russian plant? Perhaps the US plant will have better QC?

I've always had great experience with Nokia's tires. Particularly in Vermont in the winter. Looking forward to running them on the Avalon next winter.

Good stuff.

I've been happy with both Finland made WR on wife's Jetta as well as with Russian made Hakka R2 SUV on her Q5.

Sadly, they're probably not planning to make winter tires in this US factory since most of US doesn't bother with winter tires.

Originally Posted by krzyss

KrzyÅ›

Bad traction in the rain. Very poor hydroplane resistance. Took 2 times to balance and still weren't good. Loud as an 18 wheeler. Worn to below 4/32 in under 20k miles. Was told Nokian did not honor warranty/tread guarantee unless you order through certain vendors (not Amazon) when I called Nokian.

Basically just a [censored] tire from a [censored] company.

Originally Posted by Ws6

KrzyÅ›

Bad traction in the rain. Very poor hydroplane resistance. Took 2 times to balance and still weren't good. Loud as an 18 wheeler. Worn to below 4/32 in under 20k miles. Was told Nokian did not honor warranty/tread guarantee unless you order through certain vendors (not Amazon) when I called Nokian.

Mine took only once. Caveat is that they have more lead on one wheel than Gatling M61 in F16.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Ws6

crazy2.gif

In rare occasion, I tend to agree on this with Ws6.

Originally Posted by Ws6

KrzyÅ›

Winter tyres made for real winters. Work better on snow/ice than in rain.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Originally Posted by Ws6

KrzyÅ›

There are other tyres made for real winters, yet have much better wet performance, dry performance, comfort etc. Not to mention amount of lead necessary to balance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Good. Maybe the quality will improve. WRG3 SUV. Worst tires I've ever owned. The [censored] Toyo A36's that come stock on my current CX5 are better.

Polar opposite owning those same tires currently on my 07 Acura MDX and Made in Russia. Definitely better tires in its class however not in winter traction especially slush. WRG3 SUV are quite amazingly in winter.

Originally Posted by Ws6

KrzyÅ›

Really? Because that's not how Nokian markets them.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by Ws6

Polar opposite owning those same tires currently on my 07 Acura MDX and Made in Russia. Definitely better tires in its class however not in winter traction especially slush. WRG3 SUV are quite amazingly in winter.

I'm convinced different sizes are different, or their qa/qc is extremely variable.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Ws6

KrzyÅ›

There are other tyres made for real winters, yet have much better wet performance, dry performance, comfort etc. Not to mention amount of lead necessary to balance.

Brand and model?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back