Nokian Entyre 2.0 VERY noisy

I’ve had a set of these in 225/70R16 on my van for a couple years now. Mileage unknown, since I have a winter tire/rim setup and I don’t track mileage for each. I’d say the Nokians have about 5/6 32nds left on them. For the past year or so, they have gotten progressively noisier. Like really noisy. Almost to the point that my winter setup is quieter than these. The noise comes and goes at different speeds but has gotten more consistent with wear. Sometimes it’s a roar, other times I get the “whomp whomp whomp” type noise (typically at lower speeds). Balance is still spot on and no vibrations are present even at high speed. Psi is set to the placard-indicated 35psi. Anyone else had this issue with these tires, or heard of it? They have a very high load rating for this application (107 vs 102 OEM). They have plenty of meat for a 3-seasons tire but the noise may push me to replace them sooner.

I know that some may suggest that this is a wheel bearing issue, but given that this has been going on for over a year (and I drive a lot), and there is no play in the bearing and no excess heat generated in the hub areas after long drives, I can’t see that being the issue. The noise is also sort of coming from everywhere and not a specific corner of the vehicle.

One thing to note is that as these wear down, one of the rib sections is basically solid with no siping, with another that is nearly solid. Almost looks like summer tires 😄 perhaps this is contributing to noise?

It is a halfway worn tire, so it's going to start making noise

My WRG4 SUV has the snowflake worn off, but not the 4mm mark, and it's starting to make noise also... but it doesn't bother me, since I don't expect halfway or nearly worn tires to be as quiet as a new tire

Can you run your hand over them, and see if you feel any sharp edges in the tread? A toe problem will tend to make the tread feel "sharp" if you run your hand in one direction, moreso than in the other direction. Feathered tires can make noise, as can flat spots.

I had entyre original and 2.0s a few years ago and they had road noise just simply from the hard tread. Never had any roaring though. Tire noise is usually consistent. Are you sure it’s not your rear diff going out? I had a Express do that once. It wasn’t consistent and only happened at certain speeds sometimes.

I would take a very close look and look for cupping on the tires. Cheap tires usually go out that way rather then wearing out.

Back