Noisy valvetrain when cold on QS syn blend 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had been using Conoco-Phillips oil in the Forester since about 2011, mainly Kendall GT-1 syn blend and then the Motorcraft blend when Kendall disappeared from retail shelves. Recently put in Quaker State Enhanced Durability Synthetic Blend 5W30 Dexos licensed oil about a thousand miles ago. Have noticed that the valve train is now pretty loud upon cold starts (30 F or less) and through the first few minutes. Not just a tick but almost a slap or knock. It is a stark difference from before on the previous oils. Oil filter brand/type not different, using same blue Subaru OEM from dealer parts counter.

I don't see how it can be the oil, but that's the only variable in the equation that has changed.

Sounds are likely from the drop in temperature.

Do a short run on this cheaper oil and then go back to what you were using (or a full synthetic) to see if the sound is still there during the cold winter temperatures.

I recently did an oil change on one of my vehicles and about a week or so later I noticed it was running very loud as well. Turned out to be a bad tensioner pulley. It was just a coincidence that it went bad right after my oil change.

See if you can locate the area of the engine that the noise is coming from. It may be something totally unrelated to the oil.

QS has typically been a quiet oil but I has been reformed. Ive never has such terrible noises than with mid level hydroprocessed synthetic - to the point I think they are harmfull.

The Castrol Magnetec SS dexos has been stellar compared to "supposedly" good though mediocre mid/low saps syns. It runs "thin" in the 2.5 ROGUE so I dint know how it would translate to the clattery Subaru EJ253. Another second great choice has been Pennzoil HM bronze bottle 5w30 - not the DEXOS SS.

The noise, It's not REALLY a big surprise as many group III basestocks have the poorest lubricity then traditional antiscuff has been disappearing from oil.

I have experienced noisy valvetrain( not much, just slightly more) when using Shell 5w-40. In a Renault k4m engine, when starting in cold Weather, just Below 0 celcius.

From reading on this great forum i know Shell own penzoil. Maybe There is a patern.

Now i use elf 5w-40, and There is no valvetrain noise at all. The last 3 mornings we had -14 celcius(about 6 fahrenheit) and runs nice and silent.

ARCO..... dammit.... when I bought at Wal Mart I almost picked up Castrol Magnatec instead of the Quaker State. The magnatec jug was $17 the QS was 16. Rats. Picked the wrong one.

Given that its Dexos licensed, I don't see how it can actually be a bad oil though. I just don't like the noise. We're having a cold snap this week and there will be a nice sub 20F cold start in the evening each day when leaving work. I'll try to better determine the exact locale of the noise. Even though an '09 this car just flipped over to only 50,000 miles last week, at that kind of miles it better not be a belt tensioner and especially not the timing belt one.

I equate noise with wear - means you are in boundary lube condition due to lack of oil traction and many typical packages don't address cold start wear adequately IMO.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
ARCO.....when I bought at Wal Mart I almost picked up Castrol Magnatec instead of the Quaker State. The magnatec jug was $17 the QS was 16. Rats. Picked the wrong one.

I just bought it on a whim seeing the UOA on here on a TT ford and seeing there were no typical visible metallo-organic AW package and then guessing BP are employing the latest high performing salicylates and esters. Whatever it is its my holy grail. never thought I find it
smile.gif

Last edited:
The QSUD should be fine - just wail on it to scrub the bores when its warm after 500-700 miles of change over.

Did the MCSS turn to water at the end of your OCI?

Originally Posted By: tig1
Sorry you guys are having so much engine noise.

grin2.gif
You have quiet engines on Mobil 1.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back